Clip display dissapears AFTER UNPLUGGING

All display, including the blue ring around the navigation ring.

I tried resetting several times to no avail.

And so, is the Clip functioning at all, once the power cable is disconnected?

With the original Clip, there were some failures with the lead going to the battery becoming detached.  The only solutions were a warranty replacement from SanDisk or opening the player up and re-soldering/gluing with conductive glue the lead back to the battery.

Separately, you could try leaving the player connected to the power overnight (or even for a few days), in case this is a discharged battery issue, with the battery needing to be recharged.

If it’s new, get it replaced. If it’s very very old, then conceivably the battery can no longer hold a charge.

But if it’s somewhere in between, it could be, as Milkerman said, a broken battery connection inside. Or if you’re lucky, it could just be a bad cord, which is easily replaced. (You may already have one from a phone or camera.)

Did the battery icon show it was charging while plugged in?

If you have another USB-to-miniUSB cord you could try that, just to make sure a charge is getting through.

I certainly think that it’s a hardware issue. Nothing else that can be done but a replacement here. 

@fosterdrew wrote:

I certainly think that it’s a hardware issue. Nothing else that can be done but a replacement here. 

Actually, not the case.  Others have been able to carefully pry the case open (using a credit card, for example), and then solder the lead back to the battery (or, even easier for us challenged types, glue it back using conductive glue, available at electronics stores).  Pretty easy to do, from what I’ve read in the posts!