Clip+ Refresh battery / Add power + Microsd Card Power req. + Mic

Hi all,

A Few ideas that many of us will find very interesting to explore.

This thread is meant to intitate discussion and exploration of these topics - so all opinions/experiences & explorations are welcome.

1. Batteries have a charge/discharge shelf life. If our batteries no longer last a convenient period - how can we get them replaced/refreshed?

2. Battery technology has advanced drastically in the last few years since the Clip+ release. What are the possibilities regarding upgrading to higher capacity battery?

Has anybody made thier own battery packs or increased the power available to the unit in anyway?

1. Having a microsd card in the player - does it use more power? If so - how much?

Is there a significant difference in the time a full battery will last with the sd card vs without?

1. There is a small hole just above the clip to the rear of the unit - what is this for?

2. Where is the mic on this unit?

Thanks all,

All opinions and contributions are welcome

Buzzed.

@buzzed wrote:

Hi all,

A Few ideas that many of us will find very interesting to explore.

This thread is meant to intitate discussion and exploration of these topics - so all opinions/experiences & explorations are welcome.

1. Batteries have a charge/discharge shelf life. If our batteries no longer last a convenient period - how can we get them replaced/refreshed?

It can be done . . . IF you can find an exact size replacment battery AND you’re willing to attempt opening it up and soldering the lead-in wires. More info on this can be found at the anythingbutipod forums. There are posters there who have done it before.

1. Battery technology has advanced drastically in the last few years since the Clip+ release. What are the possibilities regarding upgrading to higher capacity battery?

Slim to none. Remember, these things aren’t designed to have a user-replaceable battery. They are designed to be disposable.

Has anybody made thier own battery packs or increased the power available to the unit in anyway?

Doubt it. But again, check the anythingbutipod forums. You’ll find more tinkerers there.

1. Having a microsd card in the player - does it use more power? If so - how much?

Yes. Don’t know if anyone has ever really measured it.

Is there a significant difference in the time a full battery will last with the sd card vs without?

See above answer.

1. There is a small hole just above the clip to the rear of the unit - what is this for?

It’s the microphone opening.

1. Where is the mic on this unit?

Answered above.

Thanks all,

All opinions and contributions are welcome

Buzzed.

The last time I checked, replacement batteries (not from SanDisk) were available thru either eBay or AliExpress; and some might even have been of a slightly larger capacity.  But there remains the issue of actually doing the replacement, with very fragile leads.  As Tapeworm notes above, the anythingbutipod.com forum is a good source for info., including the replacement process.

I can run mine from a Royal PowerBurst PB 10000 Rechargable Battery that I bought at Costco for $18.00. (Half off on clearance.) Since the Clip+ has such a low power consumption, and the PB 10000 has a 10,000 mAh capacity, it can run the Clip+ for weeks. What I don’t know is whether it would still do that if the internal battery was completely dead. But this is just one type of USB Rechargable Battery on the market, and it seems logical that they should all work in a similar fashion. Hopefully, they would also work without the internal battery as well.