Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
eb
eb

Clip+ Radio Problems: Static

I bought the 8g Clip+ (replacing my 2g Clip), and am very disappointed with the quality of the radio reception with the Clip+, as compared to the Clip.

It is not a defect to this unit, as I exchanged it for another, and have the same poor reception.

I have updated the firmware. I have changed headphones (& earphones).I pushed the earphones into my head. I have tried various EQ settings. 

The only quirk I noticed: If I manually advance the station 1 frequency (1 click to the right), and then reverse it 2 frequencies (2 clicks to the left), followed by 1 click to the right, so I'm now back on the proper frequency, it sometimes resolves the issue... or I think it may help reduce some static.

Is the antenna & configuration different for the clip+, as compared to the clip?

Please help, as I must use my older Clip when I want to listen to the radio. Thank you.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Re: Clip+ Radio Problems: Static

eb wrote:
I bought the 8g Clip+ (replacing my 2g Clip), and am very disappointed with the quality of the radio reception with the Clip+, as compared to the Clip.

You're not alone.

eb wrote:

Is the antenna & configuration different for the clip+, as compared to the clip?

Different FM tuner chip plus RF interference shielding was left out to make room (either physically or cost-wise) for the SD card slot.

At least that's what I've heard.

eb
eb

that sux. I wonder if there's any way to compensate for poor reception via software patch?

Would sandisk do this to try and help everyone who bought their product, as it has defective FM reception?

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

SanDisk has known about this for 2 years and has released several firmware updates that has not addressed this issue. Either it was not possible, or they deemed it too cost-ineffective to do so.

Sorry to say thhere won't be any more firmware updates for the Clip+ model so even it it were possible, it ain't gonna happen.

eb
eb

Since they advertised the Clip+ to have an FM radio, you would expect it to work properly.

I was hoping Sandisk would repair this, wanting the customers who purchased this item to be happy with their purchase, and want to purchase more Sandisk products in the future.

If they can't/won't stand behind their products, why should I trust their advertising when I am looking to buy something in the future?

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Sadly, most things rarely work as advertised.

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

My FM radio has worked fine . . . .  Of course, do make sure that the earphone cable, which serves as the antenna, is extended.  

SanDisk Guru
JK98

Try using a different earphone or headphone. The earphone cord is the antenna. Extend the cord fully. Try using the radio in a different location. There may be something interfering with reception. Are you using it near your pc or florescent   lights?

eb
eb

Thanks Miikerman & JK98,

however I have tried various earphones (extended; not near any interference), yet the FM reception distortion problem remains.

As I said in my original posting: The only quirk I noticed... If I manually advance the station 1 frequency (1 click to the right), and then reverse it 2 frequencies (2 clicks to the left), followed by 1 click to the right, so I'm now back on the proper frequency, it sometimes resolves the issue... or I think it may help reduce some static

That's why I suspect a software fix should be possible, even if the clip+ has a different tuner chip, etc, as compared to the original clip that has proper FM reception. I'm hoping Sandisk will stand behind this produce and help us with a new patch for this problem.

------------------------

Miikerman said: My FM radio has worked fine . . . .  Of course, do make sure that the earphone cable, which serves as the antenna, is extended. 

JK98 said: Try using a different earphone or headphone. The earphone cord is the antenna. Extend the cord fully. Try using the radio in a different location. There may be something interfering with reception. Are you using it near your pc or florescent   lights?

------------------------

SanDisk Guru
JK98

Download the firmware again and manually install it on the player. That will help if the firmware in the player is corrupted.