Choosing a model.

Hello. I have hard time with chooseing betwen clip sport and clip zip and thier particular versions. Mine local shops dont display full data about products and in one situation it apears one of them have all i need and the other time is the other one. What i seek is: First and most important; voice recording, radio and radio recording. Second; colour other than black. Favorable blue, purple, gray or yellow. Can you please direct me to 8gb device with those functions?

The Clip Sport has no recording. The Clip sport does have 25 hours of battery life vs just 15 hours for the Clip Zip. The Clip Zip though integrates card memory with internal memory into a single database. The Clip Zip has a song limit of around 8,000 using the Sandisk firmware, but with the free alternative firmware Rockbox installed the Clip zip can have a database that is much larger, and with rockbox the Clip Zip will support a 128GB micro SDXC card formatted as fat 32.

The Clip Zip has separate databases for card memory and internal memory, and each database is limited to around 2,000 songs. There is no Rockbox available for the Clip Sport. The Clip Sport, like other Sandisk players without Rockbox installed, has issues with cards faster than class 4, which also means all cards over 32GB.

The Clip Sport is good for those who have 2,000 or fewer songs and who want longer battery life. The Clip Zip is good for those who want to put more songs than that on the player, especially with Rockbox installed.

Rockbox.org

The Clip Zip is the more full-featured of the 2, and what I generally recommend.  The exception:  someone who absolutely needs more than 12-15 hours of a charge at a time–go the Sport.

The Clip Zip is the more full-featured of the 2, and what I generally recommend.  The exception:  someone who absolutely needs more than 12-15 hours of a charge at a time–go the Sport (but even there, keep in mind that you can take a small battery charger–the size of an AA battery or so–with you to charge a player on-the-go).  Otherwise, some people can get frustrated with the Sport’s limitations, when they want a more featured player (if you are inclined towards the Sport, please glance through its forum here, to get an idea of some of the līmitations and to see if they would affect you) . . . .

Ok, so sport dont have radio and voice rec. depspite comercial sites states it does. But zip have radio, recording radio and recording voice, yes? And general drawback is that zip have weaker battery?

Yes, to all your questions.  And the Zip manual thread/manual link, for your auestions concerning the device:  http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Zip-User-Manual/td-p/242618.

Also, I don’t know that I really would consider the battery in the Zip ‘weak":  12-15 hours of play, when new.  (But, yes, the Sport’s battery lasts longer.)

Yes, to all your questions.  And the Zip manual thread/manual link, for your questions concerning the device:  http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Z​ip-User-Manual/td-p/242618.

Also, I don’t know that I really would consider the battery in the Zip ‘weak":  12-15 hours of play, when new.  (But, yes, the Sport’s battery lasts longer.)

Well, 15h in paper equals like 7h in reality.

“Well, 15h in paper equals like 7h in reality.”

it depends how you use the player. If you set the screen brightness on low, and the screen time short, and play albums or playlists through rather than picking individual songs, then you might get 13 or more hours playing mp3 files with the original firmware, and over 15 hours playing mp3 files on a Rockboxed Clip+ or Clip Zip. 

If you use FLAC or WMA, hunt for songs often, and don’t keep the screen brightness so low, then yes, 7 hours of battery life is possible. I am also talking about a new player. An old player that has been used plenty will of course get less battery life. I haven’t timed the battery life I get on my heavily used almost 6 year old Rockboxed Clip+. It is probably now less than 6 hours though playing mp3 files.

@magazynek wrote:

Well, 15h in paper equals like 7h in reality.

And on what basis do you say that? 

Actually, not at all the case in “normal,” MP3 use–users tend to report more than 10 hours and maybe around 12+.  And a review that I read of the Zip by pcmag.com said 13 hours, 19 minutes in the reviewer’s field-testing (and then the player started up once more and gave another 20 minutes).  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391262,00.asp

On what basis? Let see… An experience with any battery i ever had. A common sense that tells me a company will always round things up. Information from friend who directed me to sansa players and told me her device never lasted longer than 12 out of 25 hours.

Is there more detailed specification than this? http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-zip/

Thanks for response dudes. You helped me a lot with those informations.

On what basis? Let see… An experience with any battery i ever had. A common sense that tells me a company will always round things up. Information from friend who directed me to sansa players and told me her device never lasted longer than 12 out of 25 hours.

Is there more detailed specification than this? http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-zip/

Should i buy new headphones? I was informed that original ones are low quality in sound and  thier spoongy-soft-ending-material (i dont know english name for it) is worse than full plastic shape like sansa sport had.

The included earphones with the Clip Zip are just basic cheap tradition style earbuds. The earphones that come with the Clip Sport are the in the ear canal variety, however they are a strange shape, and I can’t get them to fit me properly. Not that it matters much anyway, as I have so many earphones. I hope in the future no earphones are included, and perhaps the retail price could be a bit less.

As far as which earphones or headphones to buy, it depends how much you want to spend, what types of music you listen to, and whether you want something that isolates or not. Isolation is great for some circumstances, but could be dangerous for other circumstances. I have a variety of headphones and earphones. Some have isolation and some don’t. 

As for low priced choices, I like the Soundmagic ES18 which is $13 on ebay when I want isolation and good bass for playing rock music. I like the JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with ear hooks when I am active and need to hear my surroundings for safety reasons. The HA-EB75 has nice midrange and highs, however due to its very open design I boost the bass on my player by 8db to get the bass to be okay enough for casual listening. I am not a basshead. For classical music and good isolation, I like using the Sony XBA-1 earphones. The very similar Sony XBA-C10 is much cheaper now than the XBA-1, so the XBA-C10 would be a much better buy.  These Sony XBA earphones are balanced armature design, which is high on clarity, detail and midrange, and light on bass.  

@magazynek wrote:

Should i buy new headphones? I was informed that original ones are low quality in sound and  thier spoongy-soft-ending-material (i dont know english name for it) is worse than full plastic shape like sansa sport had.

Great–and my point being, rash generalizations can be just that.  Yes, manfs. round up, in my expereince as well.  But taking a 15-hour rating for the Clip Zip and rounding down to less than half of that is extreme.  In fact, as noted above, 12-13 hours (or, over at least 10) seems to be common for a new Zip, in actual consumer use.  As always, though, one’s mileage may vary, depending on personal use factors, including music rip rate, display usage, volume level, etc. 

The Sport has radio, but no radio recording.

JK98 wrote:

The Clip Zip has separate databases for card memory and internal memory, and each database is limited to around 2,000 songs. 

I believe you meant to say the Clip Sport. :wink:

'The Clip Zip has separate databases for card memory and internal memory,"

Oops. a typo. I meant to say Clip Sport.