Can you play music while charging?

Hi,

If my Sansa Clip is connected to my computer and charging via the usb, is it possible to still play music with it, or do I have to unplug it?

Thanks,

Jeff

No, you will have to unplug it.

When you connect the Clip to your computer it will mount the file system on the player and get exclusive access to it. Thus it will no longer be possible for the Clip itself to play music.

It is however possible to buy a charge-only USB cable (a cable without the data pins connected). With such a cable it will be possible to play music on the player even if it’s charging through the computer. It is not possible to transfer files with this cable though.

Another option is to charge with a AC-USB charger instead. 

Exactly.  And a third option, which people never seem to want to use, or overlook:  when the Clip is attached to the PC with a regular data/power USB cable, simply play the music using a player on your PC, such as Windows Media Player–the player can play the files on the Clip.

Thank you very much!

Yes. I assume you mean charging on your computer.

Connect the player to the computer via the USB cable. Update, sync, transfer files if you wish.

In Windows Explorer, right click on the folder for the Clip and select eject. It will no longer be available for transferring files but it will continue to charge and switch into user mode so you can play music. (I have the Clip Jam).

Ken

Yes. 

Connect the Clip to your computer with the USB cable.

In Windows Explorer (or file manager), right click on the folder for the Clip and select Eject.

The Clip will no longer be available for transferring files, but it will continue to charge and it will switch to user mode and you can play or navigate. FYI, I have the Clip Jam.

Ken

@kgburton wrote:

Yes. I assume you mean charging on your computer.

Connect the player to the computer via the USB cable. Update, sync, transfer files if you wish.

In Windows Explorer, right click on the folder for the Clip and select eject. It will no longer be available for transferring files but it will continue to charge and switch into user mode so you can play music. (I have the Clip Jam).

Ken

Interesting–here’s a permutation I haven’t heard of before.  Thanks!  Will have to check it out–

I ran into this problem as well, and tried something that may work for you.  I was using mine through an FM transmitter to play through my car stereo.  When I hook it up to the USB port on the FM transmitter it turns on, connects to the FM transmiter through bluetooth and plays music but it the screen is locked at “transferring…” and none of the buttons function.  I tried turning the unit on under battery power first and get it playing music through the car stereo first, then plugging it into the USB outlet on the FM transmitter, then all of the buttons work as if it is still under battery power and the battery indicator icon shows that it is charging.  Hope that helps you out.

For this reply I’m using two different things: “plugged in” and “connected.”

Plugged in is using a “wall wart” USB transformer.

Connected is using a computer USB port.

I’ve found I can listen to the radio while it’s plugged in, but it won’t charge.

Over time I’ve also found that various chargers behave in different ways. I used to think that a data stream was the difference but these days I get my best charging when I use the original cable (very short, white, with a “donut”/ferrite bead) and attached to my internet router - a device I’m sure has a data stream. Go figure. BTW, I test every time I come across a new wall wart and it really is hit-or-miss. Lately I’m thinking it ampreage related, I’m pretty sure the router has a full 2.4A if not greater. That’s not good for batteries usually, but when I use something like an Apple cube wall wart (1A) I only get a half-hour on my 10 year-old Sansa Clip. When I use the router I consistently get 10 hours.