Can't turn shuffle OFF or play all music

First the good stuff:  ability to adjust the EQ and replay gain (love that!), small size, and turns off/on quickly!  :smiley:

We bought the SanDisk Sansa Clip+ for my mother-in-law to play music all day without someone having to change disc in a CD player.  I wanted it to play like my (insert other brand here), i.e…, play the play list from beginning to end. No shuffle, as we have some albums (sound tracks) that are best played in order, nor do we want the same album played over and over and over again. I’ve read the on line manual and fiddled with it (entirely too much) and am getting very frustrated.  :confounded:

I’ve selected ‘play all’, turned shuffle “off”, repeat  is ‘on’, but it still shuffles the music and begins from song #1 after tuned off for a while.  

I need to know how to turn the shuffle off and have the music pick up from the last song played the next day or several hours later.  

Oh, and how do I listen to music while it is charging???  Any input?  Thank you.

I’m not sure what is happening with the first issue–perhaps others will have thoughts.

As to the second–playing while charging–you can’t play the Clip itself while it is charging connected to a computer with a “regular” USB cable.  The ways around this:  you can play the player while charging it using a USB AC charger (i.e., a wall charger); while connected to your computer, you can play the Clip’s contents through your computer–the Clip shows up as a drive with folders that you can select and play; and you can play the Clip while it is connected to your computer if your USB cable is a power-only (i.e. no data) cable, which you sometimes will find around–some people also have been able to cover the data pin of a regular cable to the same effect. 

I’m not sure what is happening with the first issue–I haven’t had that issue at all.  Perhaps others will have thoughts.

As to the second–playing while charging–you can’t play the Clip itself while it is charging connected to a computer with a “regular” USB cable. The ways around this: you can play the player while charging it using a USB AC charger (i.e., a wall charger); while connected to your computer, you can play the Clip’s contents through your computer–the Clip shows up as a drive with folders that you can select and play; and you can play the Clip while it is connected to your computer if your USB cable is a power-only (i.e. no data) cable, which you sometimes will find around–some people also have been able to cover the data pin of a regular cable to the same effect. …

I’m not sure what is happening with the first issue–I haven’t had that issue at all.  Perhaps others will have thoughts.

As to the second–playing while charging–you can’t play the Clip itself while it is charging connected to a computer with a “regular” USB cable. The ways around this: you can play the player while charging it using a USB AC charger (i.e., a wall charger); while connected to your computer, you can play the Clip’s contents through your computer–the Clip shows up as a drive with folders that you can select and play; and you can play the Clip while it is connected to your computer if your USB cable is a power-only (i.e. no data) cable, which you sometimes will find around–some people also have been able to cover the data pin of a regular cable to the same effect.

thank you, that’s such a bummer, with my (other name brand) MP3 player, I can charge and listen while plugged into the computer (at work). 

First, turn REPEAT off if you don’t want songs repeated.

Secondly, even though your SHUFFLE is turned off, I think what you are experiencing is the way the player reads, catalogues and plays music, leading you to believe the SHUFFLE is actually on. These players read the ID3 tags of the song files, not the file or folder name. So if you hit PLAY ALL, it will play files in the numerical and/or alphabetical order of the tags it has read during the database refresh. Depending on how your tags are filled in, this may play songs that appears to you to be random, from different Artists and/or albums, although they are not. tag-wise.

The recommended software for editing ID3 tags is MP3Tag. It’s free and easy to use. You do have to change the default WRITE settings to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 to make sure the tags are in the format the player is looking for. With an album loaded into the program, you can change/edit any fields that are necessary, then hit the SAVE (floppy disk) icon to save the changes. Note it is best to do this with the files residing on your computer. After the changes are made, then transfer the file(s) to your player.

Make sure your TITLE field has the track# inserted first like “01 - Track 1 name”, “02 - Track 2 name”, etc. and this should make the player play the songs in numerical order as they are on the actual album.

Another thing you can do is use the FOLDERS option at the bottom of the Music menu, although I believe this will only play one album/folder at a time.

You can play music if you use a wall charger. Not good for fm unless you like static with your newscast. Some people say you can play from the computer if you use a non data cable (or disable data on an existing cable).

I have no problem turning shuffle on and off.

And you know, the simple solution to playing the music when connected to your computer, is simply to use the computer’s software to play the music on the Clip. Easy.