Can't format my new 16GB micro SDHC card - HELP!!

I just got a new MicroSDHC Card (16GB) in the mail.  I can’t believe how small this thing is.

I put it in the SDHC adapter and inserted into the computer.   I tried to copy something to it and got a popup that the disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now?

I clicked yes, and got a popup with some setting choices.  It was already set to:

Capacity:  30GB (no other choices)

File system: FAT (no other choices)

OS is Windows XP.

Any help on this???

thanks!

____ON EDIT____

well I tried it going through a USB hub / card reader instead of using the card ports on the front of the computer and got a completely different result.  after I plugged the hub/reader in, the card was immediately recognized and it didn’t ask me to format it.  I was able to copy files to it, no formatting necessary.

So I guess the problem is solved, but it makes me wonder why the card slot on the front of the computer can’t read the card but it works with the the hub/reader.

is there a driver or something I can install to get the slots on the computer to work?

thanks to anyone who can help!

Message Edited by garybeck on 01-08-2010 04:58 PM

Did you try just putting it into your player and connecting to the computer?

garybeck wrote:

well I tried it going through a USB hub / card reader instead of using the card ports on the front of the computer and got a completely different result.  after I plugged the hub/reader in, the card was immediately recognized and it didn’t ask me to format it.  I was able to copy files to it, no formatting necessary.

So I guess the problem is solved, but it makes me wonder why the card slot on the front of the computer can’t read the card but it works with the the hub/reader.

is there a driver or something I can install to get the slots on the computer to work?

How old is your computer? It may pre-date the SDHC format. It certainly sounds as though your computer was not ‘seeing’ it correctly, given that your only format option was FAT (which is only used for 2GB and under in SD format).

This came up in another thread recently, and I believe there’s an update on the MS Windows website you can download so that SDHC is recognized.

Yes thats correct. I run WinXP and I had to download 2 updates to get my SDHC slot working. One hotfix to get it to understand the SDHC format and the other hotfix so that it would recognise cards over 4GB. The 2 hotfixes were: KB923293 and KB934428 and can be downloaded from the windows website/Internet.

Veni

I’m having the same exact problem…

Just bought two of these cards w/ adapters - one of them works, that is to say that Windows can read and write the micro sd.  The other one is read only.  Windows formats fail, deleting files fails, and an SDHC format utility “SD Formatter” fails with a message stating that the read only switch is set.  It’s not set on the adapter (same adapter works on other card) and the micro sd doesn’t have a switch.

I assume the disk is corrupt?  Is there a low level format utility I can use?

Thank You,

Jon

Oh…  I’m using Windows 7 - but I’ve also tried Ubuntu 10.04 Linux and two readers.

Problem was first noticed in a portable unit, a Coby 7015…  then the two readers and computers.

Could the card itself be defective?

Maybe…  that’s what I’m trying to get help with?  Should I return it or can I perform some type of lower level format than I have already attempted?

So should I return it?  I don’t know… and I hope not - since it was a mail order item…

Jon

Are you able to run a chkdsk on it? (Connected to Windows, right click on the card’s icon and there will be in one of the areas an option to check the disk for errors.) Also, the SD Association has a formatting tool that it recommends over that which come with OSs–perhaps that would help? (It can’t hurt, seemingly.) http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/ Note that if you need to return the card as defective, some sellers will cover the postage back and for a replacement–I’ve had good luck at Amazon, in that regard.

1 Like

Oops–just saw that you’ve already tried SD Formatter. Perhaps (fingers crossed), a chkdsk will help. (Although it’s sounding like there is a fundamental error with the card as to an inability to write.)

Have you considered the possibility that the one you’re having problems with is counterfeit? You mentioned you got them via mail order. It’s possible the dealer you bought them from, while maybe a reputable dealer got some of these fakes in one of his shipments. There’s been an awful lot of them coming out of China recently. Particualrly the 32GB version, although before that came out the 16GB card was the counterfeiter’s choice.

Have you tested it with h2testw?

You should definitely contact the seller and explain one works fine, but the other does not. It’s silly to be wasting time trying to make it work, or figure out why it isn’t for this long on a “brand-new” card. Call, or e-mail them and get it replaced. The longer you wait, the longer it will take. :wink:

Hi,

You might need either a firmware [cam] or driver [computer] update to get SDHC. For example, my HP notebook needed the v2.0.0.8 TI driver update that wasn’t even listed on the HP site for my model under any of the OS options, but a Google search found me the newest driver that was listed as “For Vista only” but it worked under my XP.

Hope this would help.

for more info u gotta click this site : http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-can-i-format-sdhc-memory-card

tahnk u so much dear…Miikerman its realy helpful thanks again God bless u dear

:smileyvery-happy: thank u so much broooo

Thank you for your useful answers. They help me a lot!

In fact, I recently have got some success to restore all my wanted data back from my camera memory card with the guidance of a data recovery video tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WPcrHgIPPY

Your answers give me many useful clues.

Thank you very much!!!

I would recommend switching to linux, because it’s software side problem.

Linux? Install and learn new OS, find equivalent programs for every needed computer function, see if there are drivers for your hardware…

For an SDHC card? Hello?

@black_rectangle wrote:

Linux? Install and learn new OS, find equivalent programs for every needed computer function, see if there are drivers for your hardware…

For an SDHC card? Hello?

:wink:

See what necroposting does? This thread was resurrected from 3 YEARS ago!

Some forums I frequent specifically tell people not to reply to threads over 6 months old, and the moderators enforce that policy. While that might be a little extreme, I think all threads (on all forums) should be automatically be locked after 1 year.