Can't Add/Remove Music From MicroSD

Hello,

I am posting here because I can’t find a solution to this problem elsewhere.  I cannot add or remove media from my microsd through the sansa. The added media will show up when I first drag and drop it however when I remove the sansa from my computer and it proceeds to refresh my media, the songs are missing. The media also does not show up when I plug the sansa back in and look for the added files in the appropriate directory. The USB mode is set to MSC.  The microsd is nowhere near capacity and I have tried reformatting the Sansa to no avail. When I try reformatting the microSD itself windows says it is unable to complete the reformat so perhaps the issues lies in that? At this point I am very frustrated and don’t know what to do so any help would be appreciated.

You might try using the SD Association’s own formatter tool, and see if that works. 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

That didnt work

I should be more specefic.  The program you suggested didn’t work because it says the memory card is write preotected.

Is there a physical switch that write-protects the memory card? Look closely at it.

It seems the problem is with the card, not the Sansa. Do you have an adapter or a slot in your computer to just try using the card directly connected to the computer?

If you put the Sansa in MSC mode it is, essentially, just a USB connection between card and computer. So, either with the card in an adapter or in the Sansa, find the card in Windows Explorer (My Computer or Computer) and right-click on it and look at Properties. Is it write-protected? Can you un-check it?

Also, check out to make sure you didn’t get stuck with a counterfeit microSD. There are tricks bad people use to make little cards look larger to your computer. So the computer thinks its filling up a 32GB card, or whatever, and it’s really a 2GB card and has no place to store the music.

H2testW will tell you if it’s a real card. It does erase everything on the card so make sure you get anything you need off the card first.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

I ran that program and it said around 10GB were corrupted but i havent been able to complete the full diagnosis because the sansa unplugs itself from the computer after around 2 hours. Is there something I can do to fix this? Also, I’ve had the sansa plugged into the computer for almost a day now yet when I took it out there was no battery in it. As both the sansa and microsd are acting eratically,it may be more helpful at this point to know what I did wrong in the first place in order to avoid something like this again if I decde to purchase a new sansa.

Also in reply to your questions, there is no physical switch on the microsd and i have been accessing the microsd through the sansa itself.

You may not have done anything wrong. It could just be a defective unit or cable. If it’s less than a year old it’s under warranty, 1-866-SANDISK , or you can Google to find service numbers if you are outside the US.

I’ve never had  a Clip+ unplug after two hours when connected–it shows the battery full when it fills up, but stays connected. That might be a setting in your computer–I don’t know. 

But if your battery is not charging…that’s a worrisome sign.

Try a different mini-USB cable.  An older camera or phone might have one. The Clip+ makes both a data connection and a charging connection, so something may have gone bad in the cable. Cable problems are not always visible.

Meanwhile, while you’re hunting for a cable, is  there any way you can make another connection to that card? The Clip+ is not the fastest connection around, so if you have an adapter, a camera, whatever, try that.

With 10GB coming up as corrupted, that card is probably a goner. But if you can connect to it–even in the Sansa–you could try running Windows chkdsk. Find the card in Computer (or My Computer), right-click on it, Properties/Tools/Error-Checking.  Sometimes Windows can do some amazing repairs. And sometimes not.