Bricked Sansa Clip 8GB

I just bought this new. Hooked it up to my Win XP SP2 laptop, turned it on…OK so far. Went to Sandisk and downloaded/ran firmware upgrade wizard; updated firmware.

At this point I ASSUMED(always a bad thing) since software screen disappeared the transfer was complete.

The Sansa Clip screen showed a double arrow and read something like ‘connected’.

Disconnected USB; Sansa screen went black and blue ring was flashing about once/second.

Windows no longer recognizes the device.

The only responses I can get out of the Clip are:

Hold ‘on’ position. Blue ring flashes about once/second.

Hold ‘on’ position for 4-5 flashes; Blue ring goes out.

I have since tried all the reset schemes, including creating a Linux/Ubuntu boot memory stick and trying to connect via Terminal and e200 tool, all to no avail.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas how I can force the unit to unbrick and be recognized, thus allowing reformat and reinstallation of firmware?

Thanks

If possible I would return it to the store and get a new one, then manually update the firmware.  What you’re describing shouldn’t happen on a brand new clip.

I’m assuming you held the on/hold switch up for 15 seconds?

And since a brand new clip already has the latest firmware installed, updating isn’t required. I’m wary of any firmware update and only perform when necessary.

@dave61430 wrote:
And since a brand new clip already has the latest firmware installed, updating isn’t required. I’m wary of any firmware update and only perform when necessary.

That is not always the case. When I bought my V2 8GB Clip around Valentine’s Day, it was not the most recent firmware, it was lagging one version behind.

I think every clip I bought was at least one firmware version behind, maybe with the exeption of the 8gb.  There’s no reason to be wary of the new firmware either.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dave61430 wrote:

That is not always the case. When I bought my V2 8GB Clip around Valentine’s Day, it was not the most recent firmware, it was lagging one version behind.

Agreed. In fact, the day the Rev.2 Clips came out there was a firmware update for both the Rev. 1 & 2 Clips. You don’t know when the device you’re holding in your hand was manufactured, even though it may be ‘brand-new’ to you. These things are made in China and then are shipped on the proverbial ‘slow boat from same’. And it might have been sitting in a store’s stockroom or on the ‘shelf’ for several months before you bought it. The firmware and subsequent updates are written in the US, so there’s just no way the f/w development schedule is ever going to sync with production.

As far as being wary, I prefer the word ‘cautious’. I think it’s always better to see how a new firmware update performs and if it has any unique characteristics (bugs) in it that weren’t there in the previous version. Sometimes when you fix one problem, 2 more crop up.

But the good thing is, if you frequent this forum, any and all issues will come to the surface rather quickly, so you can  decide if you want to upgrade or not. There usually are several enhancements and/or new features that make it worth the upgrade. :wink:

I’ve always found the Clip firmware upgrades to be precisely that.

Me too.  And it’s easy to downgrade if there ever are any issues.