Beginner Mistake, Please Help????

I bought a sansa clip+ on amazon not realizing it was only 2GB. I’m understanding I can add memory by SDmicro cards. Are these reliable? I see some negative reviews on buying the micro SD cards at amazon.com because they are knockoffs from China.   Thanx for any responses

They indeed are fairly reliable, as long as you get a genuine product.  Buying through Amazon is a good start, as you have protection from Amazon.  And then I’d try buying from Amazon itself or a seller with a good reputation.

There are knockoff cards around, but they are much more likely to be found on eBay, with its numerous anonymous sellers, than on Amazon, where sellers have to behave themselves. Amazon has buyer protection if there’s a problem; eBay does too, but it is a slow process. 

Computer stores like http://www.bhphotovideo.com are also trustworthy. 

If you want complete peace of mind, get the free program h2testw.  When the card comes, put it in the Clip (or a card reader or a slot) and run h2testw, which tests the card by writing files until it’s full.  After you’ve tested, don’t forget to erase the files on the card! 

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Personally, I wouldn’t get anything larger than 32GB because there is a limit on the number of files the Clip will display. 32GB is a whole lot of music.  And if you want to save a little money, you don’t need to get an ultrafast Class 10 card–Class 4 is fine for what the Clip does. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

And if you want to save a little money, you don’t need to get an ultrafast Class 10 card–Class 4 is fine for what the Clip does. 

As well as avoiding problems caused by using a Class 10 card. It’s the wrong type (speed) of card for an mp3 player; they designed for cameras and/or video, not for music playback. :wink:

Black-Rectangle wrote:

Personally, I wouldn’t get anything larger than 32GB because there is a limit on the number of files the Clip will display. 32GB is a whole lot of music.  And if you want to save a little money, you don’t need to get an ultrafast Class 10 card–Class 4 is fine for what the Clip does. 

For larger capacity, the separate Rockbox firmware can be employed.