Battery questions

Thank you very much for answering to all my question with so much precision.  I appreciate a lot!!!

Note: I think that trickle charging do produce some damage on the battery since it still be “overcharging”

There is a microprocessor chip in the battery pack(as with most).  It’s purpose is to regulate the the amount of juice coming into the battery.   If this chip weren’t there, the battery would explode shortly after reaching full charge.  When it reaches full charge the trickle charge is well below what the battery can safely dissipate as heat.  The “damage” you refer to would be so small as to be nearly unmeasurable.  There is a finite lifecycle to all battery packs.  This “damage” will be very gradual and not present a problem until the warranty expires.(ha ha)  Seriously, just enjoy the thing, charging is ■■■■■ proof.  To get the max life out of it, don’t let it discharge below 18% if you can avoid it.  That same microchip will shut the pack down to prevent complete discharge, which would do some real damage to the capacity.  My laptop stays plugged in 24/7, I’ve had it for 3 years and when I do run off of battery power, I don’t notice any difference in runtime as when it was new.  So don’t worry.

Thank you CrustyVet!!!

How much mah does the battery have?

I mean myself to remind, that I have read something in the Internet little bit under 400 mAh ( 3,7 V Lithium Ion Accu)

greets :slight_smile:

Thanks cymen!

I’m confuse.  You said that it’s a lithium ion (Li-ion) battery while others on this forum are saying that it’s a Lithium ion polymere (Li-po)…

A question to people from Sansa : Can you just give us these specifications since it is usually always given with this kind of product from other companies, and considering the fact that there are so many people on this forum who would want to know it!!??

• What kind of battery? (Li-ion?, Li-po?)

• How much mAh

• How much voltage

• etc.

Thank you

Message Edited by snorkyller on 01-04-2009 05:15 PM

Finally your information isn’t right.

I had check on a web site dedicated to batteries.

Here’s what I’ve been told :

With a Li-Po battery, the current dops continuously during the charge and become very small at the end of the charge.  This small current shouldn’t be considered has a trickle charge.  Then, a trickle charge is really not good for a Li-Po battery because a small current charge produce a plating of the battery’s electrode and shortened the battery lifetime.  This is why Li-Po charging currents must be between C/3 and 1C.

Maybe drlucky is wrong and there no trickle charge, maybe he’s right and CrustyVet is wrong when he’s saying that trickle charge is safe.

I don’t believe that “charging is ■■■■■ proof” since, for example, we shouldn’t let the player discharge below 25% because it harms the battery.  If it was really ■■■■■ proof, the player would stop at 25% instead of 0%

Theres no trickle charge.  After the battery is topped off,  the charge is halted.

If you unplug and replug the player from the AC it will attempt to charge if the voltage is dropped from Full.  It will top off the battery as needed and shut off charging completely afterward.

At zero remaining charge there is a small margin left. If we stopped playing music at 25% your battery life would drop from 15 hours to  11 hours and nobody would like that.

Message Edited by sansafix on 01-09-2009 01:47 PM

What kind of AC charger? I have a 5v–1A output charger I use for my iPAQ, Will this work?

Thanks for your help.

As answered in your other thread, it should be fine.

ooked up to the computer and it drains the sansaclip’s power to nothing does it recharge all over again if it has nothing ?

in short, the best percentage of the battery to charge would be?

Don’t let it go all the way down.  With these batteries and the lack of “recharge memory,” recharge at whatever percentage. 

ok. i just got confused between 18, 25, and 40%.:manhappy:

thanks for all the help

I tend to see the 40% figure–but I don’t recall if that relates to the current battery technology in the Clip or earlier battery technology (I tend to aim at that level).  batteryuniversity.com has good battery info. 

For lithium batteries such as in the Clips, batteryuniversity.com says that random charging is fine–for storage, it recommends a 40% charge.  It also states that partial charging is preferred, and that full discharges should be avoided.

How does one recharge the battery?

@atherinejackson wrote:

You’re kidding, right? :confounded:

@atherinejackson wrote:

By reading the user’s manual.

@contrapuntal wrote:

@atherinejackson wrote:

By reading the user’s manual.

Smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Contrapuntal wrote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- atherinejackson wrote: How does one recharge the battery? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Using the cable that came with your player, plug the small end into your player and the bigger end into one of your computer’s USB ports or into an AC power wall adapter you may have or can buy. Note that with your computer, your computer may need to be on for a charge for the player to be produced.