BROKEN CLIP

Back in the day, when I discovered hairline cracks in several Clips’ Clips, they were all at the exact same point, the spot where the wee spring contacts the translucent clip.

I saved them from eventual peril by drilling a wee stress relief hole at the leading edge of the crack, a trick learned from years of working with acrylic plastics.  The relief hole was very small, about 0.3mm, all it takes.

The Clips are about $3 apiece, sold in a three-pack.  It’s a good investment to have a spare around.  They’re available in several colors.  I like the conservative grey “smoke” ones, as they blend with all colors.

This wee beastie is RED.  Lovely color, come to think of it.  SanDisk is limiting these replacements to two per customer (yes, no worries, that’s six individual ones) in the interest of keeping them available.  It also discourages some twink from buying a zillion of them and hiking the price up on eBay , a definite potential issue.

Let’s have a look.  They’re currently available in blue, red, and two shades of pink.  Come to think of it, I’d better grab a set of those pink ones for my daughters.  They’ve all lost their Clip Clips recently.  Not bad.  They have these original Clips from the initial week of release, and as tough as they are on the little guys, they all are still working.

Well, I just retired one, as the OLED display has finally begun dropping out on one of them.  Over several years, and a few battery wire surgeries, multiple trips through the washing machine, even one decent crushing, they all still play!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: