SanDisk Senior User
eliasf

Automatically generate playlists for folders

I've seen many requests in other threads for folder browsing and playing. I too would like that feature, partly because I'm already used to it (my previous crappy player didn't support playlists :smileytongue: ).

While I can't make the Clip browse its folders, I wrote a Python script that automatically creates playlists based on the directory structure of the Music folder. It turned out to be rather nice and I'm quite happy with it.

I don't know if there's a tool or media player that can easily do this already. Would anyone be interested in such a program? It should be fairly easy for me to write a little Windows program (since not many of you might have Python installed).

Let me know what you think.

--Elias

----
Auto-generate folder playlists for the Clip: AutoM3U v1.1
RussWill

Re: Automatically generate playlists for folders

You are a GENIUS ! ! !

So how do I get a copy of the script?

Russ@russwill.com (grin)

Thanks in advance ! ! !

Playlist script, what a smarty!

SanDisk Senior User
eliasf

[ Edited ]

Here are the links to the program and its source code (C++, VS2008). They will expire in 1 week, but I'll try to put up a little page somewhere by then.

AutoM3U v1.0
source

[Edit:] Forgot to say this is for Windows 2000 or higher.

Message Edited by eliasf on 10-27-2008 11:07 PM
----
SanDisk User
webspin_R6

I'm curious to know how many folders deep (from the root menu), can the Sansa read? Any sansa-gurus <ahem!> would care to chime in on this?? Or is there already a thread somewhere that someone can point me too?
SanDisk Senior User
eliasf

[ Edited ]

webspin_R6 wrote:
I'm curious to know how many folders deep (from the root menu), can the Sansa read?

Well, the filesystem is FAT32, so the only limitation is that the total path size (letters and slashes in "X:\folder1\folder2\..." ) must be less than 260. In fact I just created a long sequence of subfolders like this: F:\1\2\3\4\...\83 (83 levels deep). Navigating past 15 or so level gets too slow in Explorer though. I managed to copy a song down to 25 levels, made a playlist out of it and it worked without exploding... :smileytongue:

Message Edited by eliasf on 10-27-2008 11:47 PM
----
SanDisk Guru
sansafix

Elias,

Great job,  script works as designed.  

SansaFix

RussWill

ah crap. I get a runtime error of "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

Really, just a Python script would be fine.....

Thanks!

SanDisk Senior User
eliasf

RussWill wrote:

ah crap. I get a runtime error of "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

Really, just a Python script would be fine.....

Thanks!

You probably need the Visual C++ 2008 runtime. It's a small download (1.7 MB).

I will also upload the Python script in a while. I just need to polish it up a bit... :smileywink:
----
benhazouz

Re: Automatically generate possibility for folders

Thanks Elias, it's a great tool. Works fine for me.

An improvement I would love to have is the possibilty to include the parent folder's name  of the current folder in the playlist name. This would allowed to have, for example, Album and Artist in the playlist title.

I don't know anything in Python. So if you could implement that option, I would be very grateful.

Thanks again

SanDisk Senior User
eliasf

Re: Automatically generate possibility for folders

benhazouz wrote:

An improvement I would love to have is the possibilty to include the parent folder's name  of the current folder in the playlist name. This would allowed to have, for example, Album and Artist in the playlist title.

Thanks, that's a nice idea. Will be added soon.

I'll just wait for a while, in case there are more suggestions, so that I can add them all together.

----