Advice with Sansa clip+/sport

Hi. I have a Sansa clip 2GB that is on its last legs and thiink its a great little player.

Being a “clip” it only has 2GB space and no SD slot so i am looking at picking up either a “clip+” or a “sport” this is where i need some help :slight_smile:

From what i gather the clip+ though being an older player is in fact the better sounding one and generally better overall ??

Also it says max mini SD card slot is 32GB and it only uses i think class 4-6 cards??

Would the Samsung UHS-I CLASS 10 32GB SD Micro Card work with the clip+/sport though its a class 10 card???

www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UHS-I-CLASS-Micro-Adapter/dp/B00J29BR3Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424169059&sr=1-3&keywords=sd+card+32gb

HTTP://

Would the 64GB or another larger card work in these players??

Loads of qeustions i know lol.

Thanks.

The Clip+ or Clip Zip are full-featured players whereas the Sport has limited (by design) features.

Class 10 cards have been reported as being problematic. Like using an elephant gun to hunt butterflies. If you can find a Class 4 that would be best.

64GB (and larger) CAN be used, but they come with a file system of exFAT, where the Clips only support FAT32, so you’ll have to re-format the card to this configuration. Note that Windows won’t do this for you; you’ll have to fiind a 3rd-party foormatting software to do it.

Thanks for the heads up, looking on Amazon the Clip+ and Sport are around the same price but like you say the Clip+ seems to be the more full featured of the two with support also for Rockbox only on the Clip+.

A review i read of the Sport or the Zip (one of the newer ones to the clip+ anyway) it stated that the sound chip in the newer ones is a different to the one used in the Clip+ but in fact the sound of the new chip is inferior and does not provide as clear a sound, no idea if this is true as i have only used the origonal Clip. (not Clip+)

Is the Clip+ the better sounding ???

Thanks again :slight_smile:

@dazzer wrote:

A review i read of the Sport or the Zip (one of the newer ones to the clip+ anyway) it stated that the sound chip in the newer ones is a different to the one used in the Clip+ but in fact the sound of the new chip is inferior and does not provide as clear a sound, no idea if this is true as i have only used the origonal Clip. (not Clip+)

Clip+ and ClipZip are the same device but with different screen + plastic shell.  No idea how good the sport is.  

If album art doesn’t matter hugley to you, get a Clip+. It’s a full-featured player and capable of running Rockbox, which (among many other things) works well with class 10 cards. The Clip Sport has a bigger screen, a little better battery life and the sound quality is surprisingly good but it’s a really, really basic player with a maximum database capacity of 2000+2000 tracks (internal/external memory). It’s also quite sluggish and has numerous other limitations. If you’re used to the original Clip you will probably get disappointed with the Sport.

About the sound quality: If you’re happy with the sound of your original clip you will certainly be happy with the Clip+ too!

Rockbox supports both the Clip+ and Clip Zip.

Candidly, I haven’t noticed any difference in the sound between the 2.  The main difference I’ve found in use is the cosmetic-like:  the appearance of the players, their controls, the Zip’s larger and color screen (but not really of a great resolution), etc.  Personally, I prefer the Clip+ by a trifle, as I don’t really need album art and a larger screen, and I like its more definite button controls–but if you like screen features, go the Zip.

Also, other differencs with the Zip:  aac file support for DRM-free aac format files; time-of-day indication; “sports mode” with timer and lap time; fast alphabet scrolling in lists; menu customizability; improved microSD card fit.

@dazzer wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, looking on Amazon the Clip+ and Sport are around the same price but like you say the Clip+ seems to be the more full featured of the two with support also for Rockbox only on the Clip+.

Is the Clip+ the better sounding ???

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Rockbox supports both the Clip+ and Clip Zip.

Candidly, I haven’t noticed any difference in the sound between the 2.  The main difference I’ve found in use is the cosmetic-like:  the appearance of the players, their controls, the Zip’s larger and color screen (but not really of a great resolution), etc.  Personally, I prefer the Clip+ by a trifle, as I don’t really need album art and a larger screen, and I like its more definite button controls–but if you like screen features, go the Zip.

There also a few other feature differences, with the Zip (not the Clip+) having some other additional features:  aac file support for DRM-free aac format files; time-of-day indication; “sports mode” with timer and lap time; fast alphabet scrolling in lists; menu customizability; improved microSD card fit.

Thanks for the good advice guys, i think i will plumb for the clip+ and install rockbox and see if it works with a 32/64GB class 10 Samsung Evo if not i will return the card and try and find an old class 4 or just use a 16gb class 4 i have in a phone. I have always been impressed with the sound of my old clip with a pair of IE60’s, great for the gym or out and about in the hustle and bustle :slight_smile: