Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
music2012

8gb Sansa clip won't turn on

I bought it just a month ago and it's just go dead!  I'm taking it back to get my money back.  It seem like there is a problem with this model.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Re: 8gb Sansa clip won't turn on

See this post. Maybe you have the same issue.

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

And, you didn't say:  did you try to reset the player?  Try holding the power button down (Clip+) or power slider up (original Clip) for 30 seconds or more (up to a minute or more).

Also, it's been reported that sometimes the battery needs to fully run down before the player will start up again.  Sometimes just leaving the player alone for a few days, letting the power run out (even if the player is off), can accomplish this.  

Jontona

This is my second San Disk, and this is a constant repeatable issue. I will NEVER buy again from SanDisk. It always seems to fail when I' ve charged it and all seems cool...then I go out and I'm have way through my run...and it goes dead.

The second one same same. It may very well restart again after I leave it "useless" for a day or two...but I plan to buy something else and preach how bad these are!!

rjacoby

I bought the Sensa clip a few months ago. Now it seems dead. can I change the battery at all?

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

rjacoby wrote:

I bought the Sensa clip a few months ago. Now it seems dead. can I change the battery at all?

No, but it's doubtful it's a battery issue anyway. Try resetting it as suggested above.

michigantrikker

Has there been any firmware update released to fix this crap from happening yet?

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

There hasn't been any new firmware update for any player from SanDisk for some time, and I don't expect any in the future. To which "crap" are you referring to? :smileyfrustrated:

momkmouse

I tried holding th power button in for 30 seconds as suggested, still didn't work, held it in a little longer and it seems to be fine! Thanks.

oxide

I have a four-year-old 8 GB Clip with Rockbox on it. It has worked well over the years. Yesterday, I had it hooked to my Mac and was copying some music to it. Partway through that operation, the Mac popped open the dialog box it shows if you unplug a drive, flash drive, etc., without "software-ejecting" it first. But I hadn't touched it.

Then the Clip wouldn't turn on. Hooked it to the Mac, hooked it to a linux system, and no response at all. Zero. It didn't show up in the Mac's Disk Utility.app or in gparted on the linux system.

I held the power for 30 seconds, 5 minutes, nothing. Dead dead dead.

What I finally did was this: I used a rubber band to hold the power switch in the up position and left it that way overnight. The next day I removed the rubber band and tried to power it up. Nothing. Then I hooked it up to the Mac. The Sansa firmware started loading. (Success!) Unhooked it, rebooted it, and it booted into Rockbox. The battery was at almost zero. So I recharged it and it seems OK now. I put the latest stable version of Rockbox on it.

So that's one more thing to add to the list of things to do to resurrect a seemingly dead Clip: use a rubber band to hold the power switch up overnight. Note that this left it with almost zero charge when it was at maybe 85% when it went into its coma. So maybe the power switch causes battery discharge. Or maybe whatever little "coma" subroutine it somehow jumped into discharged the battery.