8gb Clip + Missing music

I had a 2gb clip and thought it was great until it just stopped working a week or so ago.

So I bought the 8gb clip as a replacement.

It came with about 6 tracks. 

I stuck about 85 odd songs on it, and I came to stick some more on tonight, but the entire contents of the music folder do not display on my PC (Windows XP SP3, they are there as when I turn it on it still plays them.  I tried installing the updater thing but I get a pop up windows message saying “Windows - No Disk”  then “Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7” and buttons “cancel, retry, continue”

I can see the other folders and the music folder from my PC just not the contents of it!

Is it an MTP/MSC mode issue?

When your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode (set under the player’s Settings/USB Mode), your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode. 

tried this and its exactly the issue.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Cool–enjoy the music (and MSC mode)!

I read through your posts but my issue isn’t associated with a connection to a computer. After several years of using my Clip+ without issue, it just today shows empty in all Music folders. I can see through the Settings/System Settings/Info that I am running V01.02.15A  7535MB of memory with 3671MB Free. The Songs, Podcasts, Playlists etc. all show 0 items.

I am going to try to download and update the firmware and see if that helps.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I had about 700+ songs on this player.

Go into MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode) and find and delete a file called Mtable.SYS.

That is the index of files on the Sansa. When you delete that it will make a new index and perhaps find the 3GB of material on the Sansa.