8 gb Platinum Clip?

I’d buy one!

Maybe the 8GB Fuze will have a platinum-like coating.  :wink:

The 8 gb Fuze is silver.  Which is just fine!  But the Clip has the obvious size advantage if one doesn’t need a video screen.  And, IMHO, its a marvel of appearance and engineering.

I’d put it as the top of the Clip line, at another $20 if possible–for $100 (or perhaps $99, to be under the 3-figure mark).

The 8 gb Fuze is silver.  Which is just fine!  But the Clip has the obvious size advantage if one doesn’t need a video screen.  And, IMHO, it’s a marvel of appearance and engineering.

I’d put it as the top of the Clip line, at another $20 if possible–for $100 (or perhaps $99, to be under the 3-figure mark).

@miikerman wrote:

The 8 gb Fuze is silver. 

Aw heck, can’t they release the 8GB Fuze in other colors, in the future?

:wink:

The color scheme for the Fuze is like the Clip:  black for the lower capacity; black and colors for the middle capacity; and silver for the higher capacity.

Which leaves platinum (or reflective bronze) for an 8 gb Clip–kinda like with ultra credit cards …

And Sansafix, I’ll give this concept to you at no charge.  Of course, if you want to throw one of those ultra-capacity Clips in my direction …

The color scheme for the Fuze is like the Clip:  black for the lower capacity; black and colors for the middle capacity; and silver for the higher capacity.

Which leaves platinum (or reflective bronze) for an 8 gb Clip–kinda like with ultra credit cards.

And Sansafix, I’ll give this concept to you at no charge.  Of course, if you want to throw one of those ultra-capacity Clips in my direction …

Which leaves platinum (or reflective bronze) for an 8 gb Clip–kinda like with ultra credit cards.

Here’s a fearless prediction. Sales for the 4gb clip will be disappointing. Some ■■■■■ in the marketing department wll fail to attribute it to the fact that it is unusable outside and will come up with a theory that consumers don’t want a higher capacity clip since it is mainly a workout tool. The 8gb Clip will never be created. The insistance on the “silver” tinted look; non-willingness to use different colors; the decision not to use retail chains to market your product ASAP and relying on a rather obscure Sandisk site to make your sales - these are all marketing decisions, and very poor ones at that. After seeing marketing departments in a couple of tech companies I worked for butcher the products engineering was capable of producing, I am rather pessimistic. Sandisk is trying to take a page out of Apple’s playbook and be trend setters. but this rarely works out.

We’ll have to wait until the Video Clip (let me copyright that quickly) come out to get an 8gb player with great sound quality in such a small form factor. It’ll probbaly look like the Iriver s10.

l’ll take an 8GB Clip in candy-apple kelly green! (Or even a 4GB Clip for that matter)

Message Edited by Cllipman on 03-16-2008 04:57 PM

i’d buy one in all colors

@ishturkish wrote:

We’ll have to wait until the Video Clip (let me copyright that quickly) come out to get an 8gb player with great sound quality in such a small form factor. It’ll probbaly look like the Iriver s10.

The Video Clip already has been announced and should be out next month:  it’s the 8 gb (silver, of course) Fuze.  And its sound is reported to be like the Clip’s. 

@ishturkish wrote:

The Video Clip already has been announced and should be out next month:  it’s the Fuze, with the 8 gb in silver (of course).  And its sound is reported to be like the Clip’s. 

edit:  By the way, I think that SanDisk did successfully set a trend with the Clip, which is premised on good engineering (sound, importantly; features; style/cuteness) at a good price.  Which shows that quality can win out in the end–something, I think, which manufacturers forget/overlook.   

Message Edited by Miikerman on 03-16-2008 08:41 PM

@ishturkish wrote:

The Video Clip already has been announced and should be out next month:  it’s the Fuze, with the 8 gb in silver (of course).  And its sound is reported to be like the Clip’s. 

By the way, I think that SanDisk did successfully set a “trend” of sorts/success with the Clip, which is premised on good engineering (sound, importantly; features; style/cuteness) at a good price.  Which shows that quality and good sense can win out in the end–something, I think, which manufacturers forget/overlook.   

I had ordered a 4 GB Clip this past week, but cancelled within hours after learning of the display issues (and the non-return Sansa Store problem). I then went to Best Buy and purchased the 2 GB Clip. I like it a lot, but wish I could have had the extra 2 GB.

If you are listening Sandisk, I would not purchase a 4 GB now that I already have a 2 GB, but I _ would _ purchase an 8 GB one - provided it had the clear lens as described here (don’t need the sexy case though - my black case is fine). I would never purchase any size if it had the display problems of the 4 GB. The lens is the problem and the firmware is not a fix - just a patch or work-around! Failure to fix the root cause is going to make the 4 GB a flop.

You may want to pick up a 4 gb at BB (starting to become available) and see what you think about it (easy return/30 days).  And the new firmware version should be out within 3 weeks, to try out on the 4 gb as well.

@miikerman wrote:

While the Fuze looks like a very promising player, it is still much bigger than the clip. I’ll stick to my prediction for a clip sized video player next year (despite the uselessness of this feature).

@miikerman wrote:

By the way, I think that SanDisk did successfully set a “trend” of sorts/success with the Clip, which is premised on good engineering (sound, importantly; features; style/cuteness) at a good price.  Which shows that quality and good sense can win out in the end–something, I think, which manufacturers forget/overlook.   

I’ve never doubted the great engineering of this product. It is only when marketing people get too involved in the technology that products suffer.

Would you say that this firmware update would “fix” the brightness issues in the 4 gb? I just got my 4 gb and yes it’s dimmer than the 2gb but I’m not an outdoors person. I love my 4gb over my blue 2gb. Paid the same price for the 4gb as the 2gb with warranty that wasn’t necessary.

The latest word from SanDisk is that the brightness will be doubled. 

Sansafix has said here that the player would be readable outside in the shade.  At the same time, he thought that if someone uses the player alot outside, the person might want to get the 2gb version.

I guess we’ll have to see what the new firmware is like.  2.5-3 weeks from now, per the latest estimate.

i just added a silicon sleeve to it, blast the brightness, and behold holding in the sun and reading it with sunglasses. who knew? the 4gb is getting better.