Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jmann216

Problems with SD memory card

today i tried loading music onto the 4gb microSDHC card.  at first everything was fine, i put on several songs and had no problem transferring them.  when i disconnected, the message refreshing database came up as usual, however it froze, so i reset the device.  when it turned back on, it is now showing the card memory as 0mb and free memory as 0mb.  i tried to re format the card, but that did not work either.  did i totally fry my card or is there a way to fix it?  thanks in advance for any help.
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Re: Problems with SD memory card

First off, what model player do you have? Not all will recognize the SDHC (high capacity) cards. That's what sounds like is happening; you can transfer the song files fine, but when it goes to read them during the "refresh database" cycle, it can't. You may be restricted to the 2GB SD card.
jmann216

it is the sansa e280 v2.  thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.
jmann216

thank you very much, you are completely correct.  my device isn't compatible with the HC cards.  i guess ill have to get a 2gb card.  you can have more than one 2gb card and swap them out if you want differnt music correct?
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Are you sure it is a v2 unit? Because you should be OK, the v2's can & do read the SDHC cards perfectly fine. I have an e280v2 and an 8GB SDHC card and have no problems at all.

Just to verify, look in SETTINGS > INFO. The top line will show your firmware version. If the numbers start with 03.01.XX then you indeed have a version 2 player. But if it starts with .01.02.XX then you have a v1 and you're limited to the 2 GB SD cards (unless you run Rockbox firmware).

Also, when you start up your player, does the screen show Sandisk with a reflection and a smaller blue Sansa below it? That is the opening splash screen of a v2 unit.

If, in fact you DO have a v2, I can't think of why you can't seem to load music onto the card. You said you tried formatting it; did you format the card in FAT32? That's the corrrect option; if you used another format, that may be your problem.

Also, I'd like to know why it froze up on you in the first place. They usually don't do that. Try formatting your card again with FAT32 and then try copying albums on 1 or 2 at a time to see if it takes them like that. You might have 1 album (or even 1 song) that has worng or screwed-up info in the ID3 tags that is causing the Sansa to choke on it. Normally, this doesn't happen until you go to play the song, but you never know.

See if you can get anything to stick and post back.

groundhog100

Hello, I also have a problem with my card. I have a Fuze 2gb. I have a micro SD 2 gb card. It has been advertised to be video compatable, I contacted Sansa directly and was told it couldn't be used for videos. I put it in my mp3 player, made sure the setting was on msc < usb mode. My PC is suppose to say there is an external disck. I just get internal file info. I can't even load a song. I have spoken to 2 people with Sansa and emailed them. Their own adverstising for the micro sd 2gb states it can be used for video. Does anyone have step by step instructions???   
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

There's actually 2 different issues here.

One (and the most important) is the recognition of the card by the player and/or computer. You've already said that you changed the USB mode to MSC. Good. When working properly, your computer will see your Fuze and the card slot as 2 separate drives and assign each a drive letter. If you open up a Windows Explorer pane (sometimes called My Computer), these should be under the Drives With Removable Storage heading along with your other drives like your CD or DVD drives.

The card slot is assigned a drive letter whether there's a card in the slot or not. It's usually labeled as 'Removable Disk' and then the drive letter (G: for example). But assuming you have the card in there, right-click on this 'card slot drive' and select Properties. You should see a pie chart graphically showing the amount of free vs. used space on the card. Above this will be the actual numbers; used space & free space. On a 2GB card that's empty, you should see 1.88GB of free space.

If what I'm describing here is not happening on your end, make sure the card is inserted properly. The latching mechansim is a push-push spring-loaded type of catch. To insert it, push the card in completely (you may have to use your fingernail) and sometimes past the opening until you hear or even feel a little 'click'. Release it an the spring will push it back out ever so slightly and it will click again with the top edge of the card even with or slightly above the outer casing of the player.

To remove it, you do the same thing; push in until it clicks (using your finger nail again), release pressure slightly and the spring will push the card completely out to where you can grab it. Be careful, and keep finger pressure on the card as it comes out. If your finger slips off the card while the spring is under tension, it can literally launch the little sucker across the room! And that could make for some crawling aorund on your hands & knees with a flashilight looking for the wee bugger.

The video scenario can be dealt with later. We need to make sure you've got a good card, a good player and that the card is inserted properly before anything else is relevant.

Here's something else to try . . . With the card in the player (after having made sure it's seated properly), turn the player on and navigate to SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS > INFO. Here you will see the total and available memory on both the player and SD card. Is there anything showing for the card? This will be listed in MB, not GB so again if you have an empty card, it should give you a reading of 1933MB. If you see this, that's good; the player is recognizing the card.

Check this out, and post back letting us know if:

A.) the card is inserted properly

B.) the card is recognized by the computer

C.) the card is recognized by the player

D.) you have further questions

E.) all or none of the above :smileyhappy:

In other words, try these suggestions and get back to us, and we'll pick things up from there depending on what's happening on your end.

sassofrass73

[ Edited ]
I have a Sansa e260 and I got an 8 gb SDHC card a couple of months ago and just last night it stopped working. I dragged all of my files onto it just fine and the computer recognized it, but when I unplugged my Sansa towards the end of the refresh it got stuck, and it would not move. I left it alone for half an hour and it stayed the same so i turned it off. But when I turned it on it went straight back to refresh and got stuck again. So I plugged it back into my computer to try and format the card but my computer did not recognize the card, it picked up the sansa. I took out the card and it refreshed and was working, so I tried putting the card in again just a few minutes ago and the same thing happened. Did I completely kill my card or am I missing some information?
Message Edited by sassofrass73 on 03-25-2009 06:57 PM
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

It sounds like you put something on the card that the player doesn't like, or can't interperet during the refresh cycle. If you have a card reader, I would format the card in that. Then take a good look at the files you put on in the last session before adding them again. It could be a corrupted file (run ChkDsk to fix) or strange/foreign characters in the ID3 tags of one or more files. Pay particular attention to the 'Comments' field of the tag. You want these to be blank.
sassofrass73

Is there any way I can do it without a card reader because I don't have one, and I don't have the money for one right now? I have been editing my files ID3 tags in the comment areas after reading some other posts, I had a suspicion that a file was causing the issue.