iXpand not showing all files on Mac

Hi,

When I open the iXpand usb on my MacBook it is showing some files and folders but not all of them. I have tried moving sub-folders between the folders that are showing on my mac or putting them individually on the first page of the app but it seems my iXpand just does not want to show these files!!

The iXpand has all of my photos from travelling and I’m going to be devestated if they’re stuck on the usb forever! 

Any help would be greatly appreicated!

Thanks. 

1 Like

Same here, any help much appreciated. 

OSX Yosemite version 10.10.5

Iphone 6 _version _9.3.4

Drive firmware version 2.60.97.80

App version 4.0.0

_i_Xpand Drive SDK version v107_v218

File system:exFAT

can you be more specific to what you mean by some files not showing? 

I’ll try…

When I use the phone app to see which pictures are backedup to the inserted iXpand, then I see multiple days with multiple images/videos as expected. But when I insert the iXpand into my mac and check what is on there via the finder, then I only see one date folder (5th of may, which is the first day I used the thing) nested into a year folder in the Camera Roll Backup folder. Where I would expect multiple folders to correspond with the multiple days like I see on the app. Extra in the folder are only two files according to the finder on my mac. Whilst the app does show me more than that.

UPDATE: I get the same result on a windows machine (windows 7)

Does that help any?

OK this is the iXpand USB 2.0 board but it sounds like you have an iXpand USB 3.0

What application are you using? Is it called iXpand Drive or iXpand Sync?

If you are using iXpand Drive the camera backup will backup be default to the camera backup folder. In this folder the pictures backed up with be organized in nested folder. Year > Month. 

Can you post some screen shots of how the folders look on your computer?

On mac:

mac screen

On the app:

Screen app

that is really strange. Does anything show up in the 06, 07, and 08 folders when you open them on the app?

Also what version of Mac OS are you using?

1 Like

Yes everything I expect to show is visible in all the folders via the app.

OSX Yosemite version 10.10.5

Are all the pictures still on the iOS device? If so I would try deleting the camera backup folder using a computer and then try doing the backup again. MAybe something got corrupted when the backup was done. 

I am using OS 10.11.6 and do not see similar issues. Updating the OS may be an option as well. not sure if it will help but you could give it a try.  

The files are no longer on the ios devices, used the iXpand to automaticaly remove them. I could put them back and sent them to the computer by other means… 

thanks for the help so far

The iXpand app can’t delete the pictures fully. It sends them to the recently deleted folder under the native iOS photos app. the pictures may still be in the recently deleted folder if they were deleted less than 30 days ago. iOS automatically deletes them from the recently deleted folder after 30 days. 

:smiley: 

Yes it does, but I manually removed that allready to free up room on the device… :cry:

Looking back at the screen shots I think I know what the issue is. In the language you are using the month folders are abbreviated and they have a period at the end of the folder name. On a computer files or folders cannot be named with a period at the end. This is what is causing the folders to not show up at all on the mac. On a PC it will give you an error accessing the folder that the network location is not available. 

There is an easy fix for this. In the iXpand drive app do the following

1. Select View files

2. Select the camera backup folder

3. Enter each folder year

4. On the folders with a period at the end swipe left

5. Select the Three red dots to open the submenu

6. Scroll over and select “Rename File”

7. Delete the Period at the end of the folder name and select OK

Repeat this until all folders with a period at the end have been renamed to remove the period. Once this is done the folders should show up on a PC or Mac.

1 Like

Dear Doctor,

You are either Lucky as your name implies or a just sharp as a scalpel. Eitherway you are golden in my book. This is the anwer to my troubles.

@drlucky wrote:

Looking back at the screen shots I think I know what the issue is. In the language you are using the month folders are abbreviated and they have a period at the end of the folder name. On a computer files or folders cannot be named with a period at the end. This is what is causing the folders to not show up at all on the mac. On a PC it will give you an error accessing the folder that the network location is not available. 

There is an easy fix for this. In the iXpand drive app do the following

1. Select View files
  1. Select the camera backup folder
  1. Enter each folder year
  1. On the folders with a period at the end swipe left
  1. Select the Three red dots to open the submenu
  1. Scroll over and select “Rename File”
  1. Delete the Period at the end of the folder name and select OK

Repeat this until all folders with a period at the end have been renamed to remove the period. Once this is done the folders should show up on a PC or Mac.