SSD Ultra 120GB New Firmware/ Sleep fix?

Same issue here.  I had to jump through tons of hoops on my Asus UL20A to get it to work - even with latest BIOS’ etc, had to install W7 in IDE mode, then finagle it back to AHPI.  Now, it also has the sleep/BSOD problem…

I am having the exact same issue on a fres 120GB Sandisk SSD.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop that had a bad drive.  The Old SATA drive never had any sleep/hibernate issues.  Now every time this machine goes to sleep, it BSOD’s when waking up.  I have the latest BIOS for the laptop, and am thinking it is a firmware problem with the drive that needs to be fixed.  I have had a Crucial SSD for some time now without issues at all.  

Sandisk, please help!  This is a terrible pain for any user, especially a laptop one.

Erik

P.S. to my previous post, I will try my best to get this fixed, should we try switching the bios to IDE mode?

No wonder these drives were soo cheap on Buy.com…they clearly have issues.

Erik

Guys,

As I understood from Sandisk tech support they don’t read this forum. The best thing to do is to use “Ask a Question” and describe the problem to the support team. It could only help for getting Sandisk to work on a fix.

This is the replay I got -

Dear …,

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

As I understand, you would like to receive a feedback regarding the forum topic about the issues occurring when SSD quits sleep mode. Please be aware that is not a known issue, and as per note of the previous agent, this has been escalated to our Main Office, but there is no time frame for an answer. This is a forum and we, Sandisk, do not control what customer are posting to this forum.

In addition , we would like to invite you to register your product:

• Exact model of your SSD
  • Serial number (on the back of the SSD)
  • Capacity
  • Place of purchase
  • Date of purchase (MM/DD/YYYY)
  • Refurbished (Yes/No)
  • Sealed Retail Packaging (Yes/No)
  • Physical Damage (Yes/No)
  • Your Phone number
  • Your Location (Country)

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk’s products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,

1 Like

A very helpful posting Fozzie.  Thank you.  I wish there was a way to ensure everyone reads it.

As for this forum:

The goal of the SanDisk Forum is to provide a place where all SanDisk users can gather as a community.”

And that’s what we are, users, just like you.

Found my fix for the “No wake from sleep issue here.”

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

I used this: Add_AHCI_Link_Power_Management_Option.reg

Rebooted and all is well. 

Also ran this:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology

Also boot with the ahci option in bios.  

And got the ahci in bios option instead of the ahci+ide option.

The drive is great. I plan to buy two more within the next 2 weeks.

Win7 Ultimate

i920 system

Asus Rampage II GENE V1

1701 bios

Sandisk 120 

Samsung F3 HDD

1 Like

It doesn’t solve the BSOD after sleep problem. :cry:

I really hope that Sandisk is working on a solution. I have no way to know if they’re doing somthing about it or not…

After further testing NO FIX.

Works with a few minutes but after prolonged sleep hard boot.

Sad Face Sorry guys.

Having the same BSOD on resuming sleep.

I opened a case with their support and despite my efforts to convince them to work with sandforce to update the firmware, they want to RMA the drive.  I have told them it is a waste of time and we will see what they reply with.  I know its firmware because I have an OCZ drive that was doing the same exact thing and was fixed after a firmware update.  Sandforce even says that they released an update to fix it on their 2000 series controllers.  Unfortunatly, these use the 1200 series controller, not sure if there is an update out for them yet.

??  What does Sandforce have to do with SanDisk devices?

SanDisk uses SandForce controllers in their SSDs…many manufacturers of SSDs use SandForce’s controllers in their products.

This website lists it, read the first bullet item under the description:

http://coffeehots.net/SanDisk-Ultra-SDSSDH-120G-G25-25-120GB-SATA-II-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-P2273986.aspx

In conclusion, apparently Sandisk does not going to do anything about this problem. Terrible customer service.

This is certainly the last time I buy somthing from this brand.

Well, I RMA’d mine a few days ago after following the link provided in this thread.  It was fairly easy after telling them I tried it on several pc’s and laptops with it not recognizing at all.  They gave me an RMA # and a pre-paid shipping label.  So at least I don’t have to pay for shipping their defective item back.  That’s a at least 1+ for customer service…we’ll see how the rest goes.

According to tracking, they received it yesterday, but their RMA page hasn’t updated as of today.

I will post again after everything is done and I get another drive…probably going to test it ONE more time in the 1st laptop I had it in…where it worked fine for about a month.  It crashed on the 2nd test laptop after 1 day.  If it fails again, I will RMA again and post it brand new on FleaBay.

Regards,

HaO

My package got there last week (tuesday 3/13).  I waited until Monday to contact them.  They never updated the RMA status page after my initial RMA.  It still does not show received as of 03/22/12.

Howver, when I emailed Monday morning…they emailed me back within an hour or 2 and said they did received it…and they would be mailing me a replacement and “FREE” upgrade to an Extreme for my troubles.  This was very nice of them…I read up on the Extreme and it uses a different Sandforce controller, updated…I believe this will fix our Sleep/Hibernate …dead issue.

So overall, I am happy…I got the Extreme SSD on 3/21/12.  So the total time from shipping was 16 days, only because I waited 2-4 days because I was too busy to mail it off.  It should only take anyone in a hurry around 10-14 days for a turnaround.

I will load an OS up on the extreme SSD, report back…and if anything fails…You will see my post back here. :wink:

Take Care,

~HaO

^ Any good (or bad) news ?

@ed_p wrote:

Sleep is a Windows function, and it doesn’t work well on desktops.  And sometimes not even well on notebooks/netbooks.  Write to Microsoft and ask them when they are going to fix it…

That is a particulary ridiculous comment. Sleep is an OS function available on every OS since at least OS/2 – now including Windows and Linux and everything else. There is hardware support built in to both the CPUs and most peripheral cards. I use sleep all the time on my desktops to save power – reduces a 150w idle system to nearly zero. Don’t you try to reduce power/heat on your systems? If you don’t shame on you.

My kid actually wanted their Sims3 to load faster so it’s in  a desktop now :frowning: lol…Sims3 boot times went from 3-4min to around 30 seconds to 1min…not too bad.

Newegg had a special today 4/11/2012, and I bought 2 more…1 is definitely going in a laptop.  I will test it thoroughly too…I will test the hibernation and sleep modes at least once a day, maybe 2 or 3 times depending on how many times I travel.

So it will be here tomorrow night…I will load a FRESH OS of Windows 7 on my corporate laptop and let you guys know…

(ALSO even though SanDisk’s RMA process was fairly quick compared to most…my status still hasn’t changed on their RMA status page lol…still doesn’t show as received…but I guess it doesn’t matter)

I’ll come back Friday and let you know how it after installing Win 7…I’ll put it in sleep/hibernate mode a few times before going to bed on Thursday.

(I noticed I put it in on 3/21/12, not bad…not one bsod, or lockup since install either)

~HaO

Been running the new extreme SSD in my work laptop.  I was only going to “test” it in my work laptop because I purchased it personally…but it made everything run so much smoother…I don’t want to go back to the old drive.  I put the old drive in my drawer at work…so if I ever quit/leave…I can just pop it back in and be on my way. 

Here are the specs of my old work laptop:

Dell D630 (from everything I read it was only supposed to be sata1)

Core 2 Duo T7700 @ 2.4ghz

4gb Ram

Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise SP1

Sandisk Extreme SSD WEI score: 7.8 (sata1 can score 7.8?? really? )

Been running in this Dell D630 for almost 2 weeks of constant use, and it really has brought this old laptop to life.  I have put it to sleep, hibernation, and powered off with no issues several times.  I just turn everything off everyday now since it boots so quick.

The reason I posted was to follow up on the differences.  I suppose the new controller that the “Extreme” version uses is definitely superior to the “Ultra” models.  As I have not had a problem with sleep, hibernate, or powering off and on. 

~HaO

correct the extreme uses a sandforce 2281 controller series that is not suppose to ahve the sleep issue. 

I am waiting for a firmware update too. I saw BSOD issue quite often these days when using this SSD.