07-05-2014 12:17 PM
I'm using the SDSSDHP-064GB model, so the mistake is in this iso, too!
07-05-2014 01:29 PM
Glad to know you were able to upgrade your disk !
I've just seen the file containing grub parameters while creating usb key from the iso file, and this parameter was very similar to the serial number of my disk, so I just try to remove it
Also it's my job, I'm a Gnu/Linux sysadmin, it may help
And yes, it would be nice if Sandisk could correct this big mistake !
10-31-2014 09:50 AM
Zoidberg, thanks for sharing with others your discovery about the error in the GRUB commaned line.
I tried removing the offending part of the command line, then had the updater boot, but it still fails no matter what.
In fact, it doesn't just fail to update, but it shuts down the computer altogether so rapidly that I don't even get a chance to see what the error was.
10-31-2014 11:39 AM
Hi, sorry to read that, from what I remember the process should only reboot at the end, it is very fast, are you sure your SSD was not updated ?
If not, could you try from another computer (even a laptop) ?.
11-01-2014 12:10 AM
I'm dead certain that it failed, because I checked the firmware revision on the SSD afterward, and it was still on the old version: X2306RL
For what it's worth, right before it shuts down, I can for a split second see an error indicating "firmware not found."
I even tried mounting the ISO within Linux, and I couldn't find the firmware anywhere within the initrd file "ssdupdater.gz" that I extracted to examine the contents of to see if that was true, and there was nothing within that file.
I looked more closely at the directory structure of the intact file image, and here is what I (the below is the output of a simple "find" command within the root directory of the image with no parameters:
I'm pretty sure that the file "./EFI/SanDisk/update.flu" is the actual firmware, but I have no idea why the updater doesn't locate it automatically.
It's very strange that the updater stops at the exact same point, whether I leave the default GRUB command line as is, or whether I follow your idea to remove the part that caused the problems for you.
11-01-2014 03:32 AM
I was finally to make the update work via brute force.
First, I booted to Linux as normal.
Then, I extracted the entire "ssdupdater.gz" file.
Then, I moved to the "opt" directory within the directory structure.
I then typed "echo ffu ../EFI/SanDisk/update.flu | ./sankit"
Suddenly, the update started, then exited.
A quick "hdparm /dev/sda" after all that gave me the following output:
Model=SanDisk SDSSDHP128G, FwRev=X2316RL, SerialNo=132895402244
* signifies the current active mode
I put the firmware revision in bold.
Before, the firmware was X2316RL, but this proves that it finally made the full update.
12-09-2014 01:45 PM
Had same problem and thought it was a problem with my Asus Rampage motherboard but it wasn't.
Just removed the serial line as everyone already mentioned and updated right away after failing every other way I tried i.e. via Windows Sandisk firmware update and using bootable ISO image.
Can't believe they never bothered to fix this since how long has this firmware been out?
07-17-2016 09:34 PM
Thanks for the trick needed to apply the update (amazing that Sandisk hasn't fixed the ISO images...). That allowed me to update my (failing) v2 128GB Ultra+ drive. After installing, I booted into a DVD of Knoppix, and saw the new firmware version.
I was doing this because my 1-week-old (though sitting on a shelf for a year or two) SSD suddenly started locking up when touching certain sectors. I had (painfully!) copied all but a few hundred MB (at a guess) with ddrescue to another drive (since the SSD locked up hard on touching a bad sector, I had to continually save the ddrescue state, do a hard reboot (restart didn't un-bork the SSD), then run again. I quickly got 99%, but then got into areas where I'd get 0 to a few hundred KB before hitting a bad set. After 50-some iterations of this (and looking at hundreds and hundreds more, even before trying to dissect the failed blocks (4 to 64K each)), I checked for a firmware update. There was one!
The update (this one) was supposed to improve error handling and such. Great, just what I needed (I hoped)! With this thread, I got it updated successfully! Then I powered down, reattached other drives, and powered-on. Hung probing SATA-1 (which it had done all along occasionally). power-cycle - same. 25 power-cycles later, I gave up. :-( :-(
Ironically I installed it to replace a failed rotating disk with a head crash (only 5 files affected, only 1 interesting and that was just an IMAP mailbox file, so all the data lives on a server). But now I get to reclone the data, and re-do all the cleanup. And unfortunately I moved a bunch of email (when cleaning up) to local folders on the SSD... That's all gone forever now. (I did preserve the attempted clone of the SSD, but there's no working directory structure there... a recovery program might be able to dig out the files, if they don't have holes in them, maybe.)