SanDisk Ultra II 960 Not Recognized by Win 10, BIOS sees it

Running Win 10 x64. Disk Management, Device Manager and SanDisk SSD Dashboard not seeing my 960 GB SSD. BIOS sees it, though. Any thoughts?

–Chrisbot

Well, I thought I’d just try swapping the drives around for giggles and grins and it worked! Problem solved.

1 Like

If you still see this after 7 months, can you please explain what “swapping the drives around” means?

I connected the new Ultra II to the power plug right next to the existing bootable SSD, connected a SATA cable to one of the available SATA ports on the motherboard and I have the same problem – the BIOS can see the disk, brand name and capacity, but Windows Disk Management does not see it.

Thank you.

If you can still see this after 7 months, can you please explain what you mean by “swapping the drives around” ?

I connected the new  Ultra II to the power plug right next to the existing bootable SSD, connected a SATA cable from the new drive to one of the available SATA ports on the motherboard and have the same problem – the BIOS can see the disk, the brand and the capacity, but Windows Disk Management doesn’t.

The system originally came with Windows 7 or 8,  not sure which (2014) and was updated to Windows 10 online when it became available.

Thank you.

I think what he means is switching SATA ports or cables

Please try switching SATA ports and cables

I’ll try switching cables as a last resort, but since the BIOS correctly identifies the drive I think it’s either a BIOS specific setting or a Windows setting or driver issue. The system came with Windows 7 or 8 and reading around the web, pre Win10 OSs had some issue with recognizing new SSDs and they needed a registry hack to get the OS to see new drives. But that’s old info.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Problem solved!

I followed some instructions on the MS support site.  I run the Hardware Troubleshooter and it found that the system was not accepting new drivers!  I have no idea  how this happened or why. The troubleshooter fixed the setting and after a reboot the drive is in File Explorer in all its 960GB glory.

To get to the hardware troubleshooter, click the Windows button, search for troubleshooter, and in the first window with a few of them click the All on the left and the full list of the available troubleshooters will show up.

I hope that helps. Thank you all for your suggestions.