TRIM Feature

How can I tell if I have the TRIM feature enabled? How can I tell if I have this feature on my Windows Vista personal computer? Where can I find a third party program or would I need to install software updates to use the TRIM feature?  I have been looking online for info on this for quite awhile with no luck at all. 

Hello, 

if you are using the latest SP of Vista you and the drive was installed in the bios with achi mode enabled, then the trim function works automatically already. 

1 Like

Hello- thanks for reply. I do have SP 2 installed.  Would you tell me what achi mode is?  I know how to get into the computer BIOS. 

Hello, 

there are official sandisk steps on how to enable the ahci mode in the bios

you can find them here

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8169/kw/partition

1 Like

note that if you did not install the OS in AHCI mode you cannot just change the SATA mode from IDE or RAID to AHCI. If you do the computer will not boot. You will need to reinstall the OS with the SATA mode set to AHCI. I think there may be a way to do it with out reinstalling but microsoft recommends reinstalling the OS when changing the SATA mode. 

1 Like

@schnuffyrex wrote:

Hello, 

if you are using the latest SP of Vista you and the drive was installed in the bios with achi mode enabled, then the trim function works automatically already. 

As far as I know, the above information is incorrect.  Everything I can find online seems to indicate that Vista does not support TRIM at all.  Does anyone have a link to a document that shows that Vista does indeed support TRIM?

That being said, I think you can manually run TRIM on your SSD with the drive manufacturer’s diagnostic/management software.

@citybett wrote:

@schnuffyrex wrote:

Hello, 

As far as I know, the above information is incorrect.  Everything I can find online seems to indicate that Vista does not support TRIM at all.  Does anyone have a link to a document that shows that Vista does indeed support TRIM?

That being said, I think you can manually run TRIM on your SSD with the drive manufacturer’s diagnostic/management software.

Only thing I can tell you is if you “upgrade” the operating system to Windows 7 or above, the TRIM feature will be automatically enabled.  I am going to do that very soon because Microsoft will no longer support Windows Vista after April, 2017.

drlucky -

Are you saying that you essentially cannot use an outside cloning system (I’m using LogiCube SuperSonix NG) to clone from an existing C: drive, to an SSD drive (SSD Plus in my case), hook the SSD into the system (SATA), and it will not work?

Have to rebuild entire drive with OS in setting up ACHI instead of IDE?

Wow…