RMA restrictions (is this even legal in all states?)

So I have a cheap SanDisk Plus used in a boot disk in an HP computer which is classified by HP as a “server/workstation”.

Because the drive was installed in this particular HP instead of another brand without the “server” option, SanDisk is trying to deny the RMA. I think they’re also basically inferring that because a non-windows OS is in use, it is therefore a “server”.

First off, I’m a unix systems admin by trade, and I know that calculating DWPD based on “server”, “workstation” or “generic desktop PC” is totally not viable.  You could have a “server” that’s using an SSD as a boot drive that only sees read activity.  You could have a “server” that’s used for light development work.  You could have a “desktop” that’s got Plex and a BT client running 24/7 always uploading/downloading and scanning media, updating the Plex db, etc and that could  be writing a few TB of data day.  The “server” scenario might see 0 bytes written per day, the “desktop” scenario a few TB  and they’re going to deny the RMA on the supposed “server” but not the “desktop”?

This all sounds like a scam, and I’m not even sure my state allows this kind of cherry-picking in warranties.

Anyone else experience this nonsense?

Hello, 

I have reviewed your case and please note that based on our warranty policy posted here:

https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/warranty/warranty-united-states

Any retail product used in a server does not qualify for warranty, even as OS or boot drive, we recommend certain Channel/Business level SSD like X400 or X600 because retail products are not designed for this use.

That being said we are willing to provide you a one time exception and offer replacement, an agent will reach out you shortly to collect RMA details