High very high WAF (write amplification factor)

On another SSd I bought for my stepdad, the WAF is alreay at 40 !!! for only 450 Gb written the NAND is at 17+ Tb!!!

This is incredible.

Wearout indicator is at 0.05 % for a drive switched ON only 84 hrs… (indexation, windows search and derag are off)

SSD Aldo.png

SSD Aldo2.png

At this rate the drive will crash in less than a year…

Thank you Bloc, we will bring this case to our engineering and discuss, meanwhile, can you check your private mail and contact us ?

Thank you

Thank you.

I replied to your PM.

I also noticed that the Total Bad Blocks is at 16

Cheers

???

The disk is now at ~500 Gb written for ~20+ Tb NAND written.

Thanks bolc,

I have wrote you an email regarding your case, you can continue discussion with me by replying that email.

for more infohttp://www.overclock.net/t/1573245/sandisk-ssd-plus-write-amplification

Hi Tuzik,

I have sent you an private message to better assist you.

Hi Chushi,

Thank you for your help.

I did the RMA request of the previous drive (which was received in Sandisk center in CZ Republic) and now wait for a replacement.

In the meantime I mounted another SSD Plus to keep the pc working, and this 120 Gb drive, which ran absolutely fine on another pc equipped with ICH10R chipset (Asus P5Q board) with a WAF factor of 3-4 increasing slightly overtime, and about 2 months old but rearely used, went up like hell on this machine.

After 4 days of use on the Nforce 610i chipset of the MSI P6NGM-L, with AHCI on in the bios and active ; indexing, defrag and windows search services all OFF, it was at 7000 Gb NAND written for 500 Go on the host. Will connect at distance to the machine to get the latest crystaldisk / dashboard screenshots.

Any ideas what can be responsible on the Nvidia chipset / windows 7 installation ? Or is it just a coincidence ? (the same Win7 installation was cloned from the old SSD to this one).

I tried in the past to use Nvidia ahci driver or ahci microsoft generic drivers, same results in terms of waf increase (but microsoft generic give much faster transfer rates so I kept those).

I plan to change the motherboard with a ICH9R board hoping it would be working well like with ICH10R ; on Z97 chipset I have 0 problems. But this will be in 3 weeks or so by the time I go back to my father in law…

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

for the record, it was 6700 Gb on 5/13, now on 5/17 around 9500 for 488 Gb written (this one barely moved). Double checked that defrag, windows search and indexation all off. The media wearout of 0.02% is low enough, hope I will be able to change the motherboard quick enough not to reach too many NAND written (if that solves the problem…)

01.png

02.png

Hi Bolc,

Please reply to your support email with the drive information that you see similar issue, we may need to replace that one for you too. This issue happen very rarely, but very sorry you are seeing multiple drives with this issue.

Hi Chushi,

Thanks, I have done a reply.

Let me know what kind of info you need ?

Cheers

Nforce 610i chipset… TRIM Working?

Probably aggressive
cleaning SM2246XT

Trim sure is working. At least sandisk dashboard and other softwares say so

What od you mean by Probably aggressive cleaning SM2246XT …?

I also have Plus with Z22000RL fw, and found my WA now about 20! 10TB host writes and sic! 200TB NAND writes actually.

SanDisk SSD dashboard (actual version) definitely wrong about Media Wearout percentage. It prints 0,32% but actualy it is 32% of total endurance.

To correct this, we need edit SMART database in Dashboard, and change in smart folder in file smart_list.xml

line

<ref fname=“aphrodite2_generic.xml” matchType=“prefix” length=“8” fwprefix=“Z2” version=“1.1” />

to

<ref fname=“aphrodite2_generic.xml” matchType=“prefix” length=“8” fwprefix=“Z2” version=“1.4” />

and in aphrodite2_generic.xml

lines

<smart version=“1.3”>

<aname id=“230” raw=“1:0” format=“XH.XL %”>Media Wearout Indicator</aname>

to

<smart version=“1.4”>

<aname id=“230” raw=“1:0” format=“XL %”>Media Wearout Indicator</aname>

but this doesn’t fix endurance on the main product page in dashboard, only corrects it in advanced smart view.

The same problem as the rest, SSD too much writes in NAND. Maybe it will be possible to solve this problem in a future firmware update, otherwise the drive is not likely to serve the term of guarantee. Disappointed in this drive. diskinfo.jpg diskinfo.jpg

I think this drive will need to be replaced. I would recommend contacting sandisk support for replacement. 

:cry:

I found out the combination SB controller / SSD does a lot to NAND writting.

Intel chipset are winners but some Nvidias (old Nforce) ■■■■ badly. AMD are fine too, although they tend to be slower than Intel’s in benchmarks, for the 2008-2010 chipsets. Later on, they probably all went better, but as far as I know P67 Z87 Z97 rock the boat !

I asked for a RMA replacement, as suggested here, and the service was really good. UPS paid return, and fast delivery for a disk bigger in size. Frankly, even though that can be annoying, I am not sure whether other manufacturers would have done the same, and nothing tells whether other SSD drive may not show the same problem on your rig.

2246XT is a cacheless drive(there is little bit cache in controller but only enough for block erase and firmware) so you have to be careful.

You can do

-> Add user level provision ( just shrink your partitions and create minimum 8GB unallocated space)

-> use caching programs like Primocache. It can keep waf around 1,4 - 1,7 if you have enough free space.

My options are :  primo1.jpg

primo2.jpg

->Defrag disk !!!WHILE PRIMOCACHE IS RUNNING(if you dont want to kill your disk)!!! every 3 week.

Defragging will cause small files in several big block to store in one single block. (ex : you have 5 files in 5 block , while defragging process they will get into only 1 block and 4 block will be free for wear leveling)

It can consume 1-2 write cycle but it can save pretty much write cycle.

This is log of my 7months(dont look at power on count , it only counts time when disk is active) old of ssd plus 120GB. beginning of graph jumps really much but graph erased after reinstalling windows . somewhere of the middle and end of graph it just jumped so fast because i filled drive %95.

sandisk.jpg

And sorry for my bad language…

The motherboard on the latest chipset Z170, employs 40 GB of 240Gb. I think it is a problem of the controller firmware.

PS Подозреваю, что половина тут русскоговорящие, так что думаю между собой можно на родном.