SSD caught fire!

Hello,

when I woke up on Sunday morning, I found one of my PCs to be turned off. In addition, it smelled weired in my flat.

When I opened up the case of the PC that was not running, I found that my SanDisk SSD had caught fire and burned some cable and turned the case black on the inside.

Luckily, it stopped burning before more components were consumend (just the SSD and a few cables).

But this was only the case, because the SSD was setup in a pretty large server case were it was pretty much alone (can be seen on the 4th picture). Would it have been packed in a normal case, I am pretty sure the whole PC, an then maybe the whole flat would have caught fire.

I already know that the SSD is out of warranty (bought it on 25.12.2013), and I don’t care for a replacement, BUT: what is your statement, and what are you going to do about that?!

PS: the black in the back of the case is not a shadow, that’s where the flames blackened the metal!

IMG_20160711_194915.jpg

IMG_20160711_194948.jpg

IMG_20160711_195018.jpg IMG_20160710_094131.jpg

This SSD has a 3 year warranty so you should still be covered by the warranty. Also if you are looking for an official statement from sandisk contact their support. They will be able to take care of you. 

That said it looks to m that the source may have been the cable itself and not necessarily the SSD but it is hard to say from the pictures alone. Best advice is to contact sandisk support to get this sorted out. 

2 Likes