SDSSDP-064G-G25 seen by BIOS with no capacity

Hi there,

Today I have purchased parts to build a new system and decided to use the SDSSDP-064G-G25 64GB SanDisk SSD as the boot drive as I read good reviews on a few sites and have used many SanDisk USB disks over the years and commend the company’s great build and design quality.

The build went well until I noticed in the BIOS the following line:

SATA Port 0                 Sandisk Milpit(0.0GB-3.0Gb/s)

This worried me even more when I came to install Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium onto the system

I came to the selection window where you choose which drive and partition to install the OS onto when this is displayed:

Name                                                 Total Size       Free Space

Disk 0 Unallocated Space                   0.0MB                0.0MB

Below is a warning link that says “Windows cannot be installed to this disk” which reads “The selected partition requires at least 5884MB free space” when you click on it.

At first I thought that it may be because I am using a SATAIII SSD on a SATAII port and it is not supported but I did some research and it turns out that SATAIII and SATAII are backwards compatible with each other.  Regardless, I updated the firmware that controls the SATA controllers and it still came up with the same errors.

The BIOS is the newest version, and I’ve tried running diskpart to clean the drive which displayed:

“DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O error.  See the System Event Log for more information.”

I look into the SEL and there is no mention of this occurrance.  I tried to create partition primary which resulted in:

“Virtual Disk Service error: There is not enough usable space for this operation”

It is looking to me that the SSD has a factory fault, as not many people on the web are experiencing this type of problem without finding a solution before they get to this level of troubleshooting.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Other specs:

Mainboard:     Intel DH61AG mini-ITX (BIOS version AGH6110H.86A.0105.2013.0311.1711)
CPU:               Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz Ivy Bridge
Memory:         4GB Corsair 1333MHz

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Andy

Quick update:

I have plugged the SSD into another PC and it has detected it with the correct amount of storage space.

I managed to use diskpart to correctly format and partition the drive and successfully installed Windows with no hitch

However, I plugged the SSD back into the original build…same errors

SATA Port 0                 Sandisk Milpit(0.0GB-3.0Gb/s)

Name                                                 Total Size       Free Space

Disk 0 Unallocated Space                   0.0MB                0.0MB

This tells me that there is nothing wrong with the SSD, and is in fact a compatibility issue with the SATA drivers and the AHCI controller on the motherboard.  I have updated both the drivers on the motherboard and tried looking for an update for the firmware on the SSD (to which there isn’t one) and still the problem persists.  I have restored the BIOS to an earlier version and this has no remedy either.

I have posted on the Intel, microsoft and supplier forums hoping that someone somewhere may find a solution