Is there any way to Secure Erase an X400?

Currently it doesn’t seem like the dashboard will secure erase or allow a bootable USB to be created with the tools to perform a secure erase on a X400? Is there an alternative tool or is there an ETA when the dashboard will be updated to support this?

1 Like

Hi SelfHighFive, 

Are you connecting the drive through USB adaptor ?

To my knowledge it doesn’t work through an adapter. Currently I have it setup as a secondary drive.

Looking at the release notes for the latest version under known issues:

“Cannot perform firmware update/Secure Erase/Crypto Erase or Sanitize using USB bootable drive if the drive is ULTRA II, X400, or Z400s”

Is there an alternative method? Or a timeline for a fix?

Hi SelfHighFive, 

I have discussed with our development team and they are looking at it, they say a new version of dashboard will be released in a few more weeks. So you can try again after it. 

To try BitLocker, go the Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click onBitLocker Drive Encryption. Select the drive and start the process. Encryption will take hours on a large disk, but you should be able to do other work on the system while encryption completes.

Hi SelfHighFive, 

A new version (1.4.3) of dashboard has been released and it is supposed to solve this issue. 

SanDisk have recently updated their SanDisk Dashboard suite of utilities, a pretty comprehensive bunch of tools that allow you to monitor the drive in all sorts of ways.

re: v1.4.3

I have just made a contrary experience with my X400.

“We are Betatesters, baby,”

Secure Erase is the name given to a set of commands available from the firmware on PATA and SATA based hard drives.

Secure Erase commands are used as a data sanitization method to completely overwrite all of the data on a hard drive.

Once a hard drive has been erased with a program that utilizes Secure Erase firmware commands, no file recovery programpartition recovery program, or other data recovery method will be able to extract data from the drive.

Note:  Secure Erase, or really any data sanitization method, is not the same as sending files to your computer’s Recycle Bin or trash. The former will “permanently” delete files, whereas the latter only moves the data to a location that’s easy to flush away from the system (and just as easy to recover and php interview questions). You can read more about data wipe methods through that data sanitization link above.

for more details click on below link.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-secure-erase-2626004