Readycache SSD slow (firmware 2.0.0)

Sandisk advertises the Readycache SSD to have a throughput of 480 MB/sec. Tests like on hardocp.com seem to confirm this.

I ordered two Readycache SSDs from two different vendors and tried them in two different PCs (AMD and Intel CPUs). There was a performance gain but not as big as I expected. So I measured the SSD raw performance of those Readycache SSDs and they only reach 200-230 MB/sec seq. throughput. The firmware version is 2.0.0.

Does Sandisk package a much slower SSDs in its newer Readycache SSDs ???

I guess it depends a lot on the benchmark and formating. With it running formated by it’s native software and after pausing disk caching, I also see those ~230MB/s max read under HD Tune. But when formated as NTFS, ATTO benchmark will saturate my SATA2 port (~274MB/s read), so it might as well reach those higher numbers in reviews.

edit: Firmware is also 2.0.0.

I’ve formatted the ReadyCache SSD with NTFS. The interface is SATA-6 on a new Dell Optiplex 7010 (Intel i3) - this cannot be the bottleneck. Used Atto, HD Tune and Crystal DiskMark to measure the SSD performance:

Atto: 115 MB/s write and 265 MB/s read

HD Tune (read): min 191 MB/s, max 211 MB/s average 201 MB/s

Crystal DiskMark: 258 MB/s seq. read, 118 MB/s seq. write

I also ran these tests with another ReadyCache SSD from a dirfferent vendor in my other PC (AMD): about the same results.

These are really bad results for any SSD. Given that a low budget hard disk has a throughput of at least 100 MB/s, the improvement through ReadyCache is probably small.

The read throughput in tests with firmware version 1.0 by the hardocp.com guys are MUCH higher: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/17/sandisk_readycache_32gb_ssd_review/4

I wonder if a sandisk employee could respond if (and why) Sandisk is now packaging a much slower SSDs with ReadyCache.

These numbers would be typical for an SATA-300 Interface. My ReadyCache SSD also has the 2.0.0 firmware, but I am reading between 330 and 355MB/s during a quick read speed test with HDTune. That’s not stellar performance, but combined with the short access time, it’s enough to outperform any conventional hard drive - if just the crappy software would work as it should (then it might even speed up my machine…).

So if you are just looking for a cheap and small SSD with 32GB in size, I think there’s nothing that speaks against the ReadyCache SSD (price/performance wise).

I just did an AS SSD Benchmark run and saw figures very similar to that test from [H]ardOCP (453MB/s sequential read speed). So I think it’s safe to assume that the current firmware revision alone is not responsible for your performance issue.

Thanks for taking the time to check!

The problem was indeed the SATA interface. Of the four SATA connectors on my mainboard obviously only two are SATA-600 (SATA-III). The other two are SATA-300 (SATA-II). Harddisk and DVD writer were plugged into the SATA-600 connectors at factory and I had plugged the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD into one if the remaining two connecors.

I swapped the DVD writer’s with the SSD’s connector and voila: I get the same fast speeds as [H]ardOCP.