ReadyCache in a laptop optical drive bay?

Has anyone tried using the ReadyCache in place of a laptop optical drive?  

I have one on my laptop and it works perfect, sata 2
just buy a “caddy” on ebay or other

I just did this upgrade today.  It makes a huge difference for my laptop.  I strongly recommend it.

I did this on a second computer.  This is really the best way to extend the life of an older laptop.  

I was wondering, though, how fast of a SATA port is available on my laptop.  Any way to find out?

Yup, just upgraded to Expresscache 1.3.0 and installed it again on my HP laptop and it works like a charm.

Thank you Sandisk/ Condusiv

<no errors yet>

@amazinglysmooth wrote:

I did this on a second computer.  This is really the best way to extend the life of an older laptop.  

I was wondering, though, how fast of a SATA port is available on my laptop.  Any way to find out?

Check the manufacture specs.
or device manager?

I think belarc advisor shows some specs, but i haven’t used it in a while.

Honestly it doesn’t matter.  Max for sata 2 is 300MB/s, which is still many multiples faster than what any laptop harddrive does, furthermore what matters for ssd is mostly its zero latency, not so much its max read speed, since most things that speed up application operations are random read/writes, those are well below the maximum spec claimed.  Just go look at some benchmarks of real  harddrives, their random read write speeds crash to single digit megabytes at times, its ugly, and thats why ssd’s even if you get down to 30mb/s or lower random read write will feel faster than a regular harddrive.  So honestly, sata’s ceiling is high enough that it really doesn’t matter,  rarely is 400mb theoretical going to be hit, 300mb all day long is good enough and way better than what your oriignal drive could possibly do…and even then in real world cases I doubt 300mb ceiling is reached 99% of time.

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_m8_review

Just look at that drive for example, its a newer and faster drive than yours probably.  The 4k random read write are the dead give away of a spinning drive.  Because it takes time to seek to the next position, its random read write slows to under 1MB even.  So 300MB is so far beyond that…