(anon)

SSD

Bought a new sandisk SSD and want to ghost my HDD to it.  OS is Win 7 in the HDD. please tell me the write procedure to do it and what software can i use to do it which is compatible with ssd?

(anon)

Re: SSD

any cloning software will work. I have used ghost 11, and winhex but any other would work. your best bet is to evaluate the different cloning software available and make a decision based on your evaluation. then use the software manufacturers instructions for cloaning the disk. 

one point i would like to make however. SSD drives perform best when the disk is aligned. basically this is a slightly different format than what is used for hard disks. Windows 7 will detect that the disk is an SSD and apply the correct format during installation. you will not get this if you clone the disk.  cloning the disk will result in having the hard drive format applied to the SSD. it will work but not at the best performance. I would strongly suggest a fresh install of Windows 7 that way you will get the best out of your new SSD. 

(anon)

Thanks.

Well i have data on my HDD and dont want to loose it. I will try searching for cloning softwares. but what is alignment? cant i align my drive first and then do the cloning..bz i really dont want to losee data. Please tell me if there is anything else i have to do to make my new drive work fine for me. 

(anon)

you can align the drive first using a tool like diskpar but you will then have to move the MBR on the drive using winhex or another similar tool. this process is not all that easy and not something i would recommend unless you are comfortable using these tools. I would still suggest doing a clean install of windows 7. you can always backup your data from the original HD and then transfer it to the SSD after install. you would need the original install files for applications. 
(anon)

Thanx a lot. i appreciate your help. i will try gathering knowledge about the tools u told me..if not able to do anything then i will do a frsh installation.