SanDisk User
cruzmisl

Re: Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD on Macbook Pro 15 inch mid 2012

If you still cannot get it to work, there may just be a firmware issue with the SSD and your relatively new MacBook Pro. 

Firmware incompatibility issues are not that uncommon with SSDs, even with brands like the Crucial M4. If you still can't get it to install, I would wait for the latest firmware to come out before pursuing warranty replacements, since you have 3 years and NewEgg won't take it back.

gjh03c

So I ordered the same model from Amazon and it's sort of giving me the same problems with starting up with the white screen and the flashing folder with the question mark through it but the only difference (good difference) is that when I go into disk utility while beginning the computer holding option, is that it always recognizes the hard drive and I just have to set it as the start up disk.  I am going to return the original one to Amazon today.  But why it occassionally doesn't select the hard drive to start up is still not clear.  It could just be the firmware as you say.

Anthrobug

It could also be the connector inside the MacBook that you're plugging in - Use some canned air to blow out the connector on both ends, and make sure it's snuggly fit to the SSD.

Which model MacBook are you using? ( Apple menu -> About this mac -> More Info -> System Report -> It's the Model Identifier that I want )

I've got a 4 year old MacBook with the 120GB SSD in the HD bay and another 500GB HD in the DVD bay, and I never had any of these problems with it not being recognized EXCEPT when I tried to put it in the DVD bay. It would only work reliably in the HD bay.

Oh, and one more thing, that whole PRAM reset? It's a thing of the past. What you want to do is reset the SMC controller. And it's easy to do - Below is the method for a MacBook with a removable battery - If you've got a later model unibody MacBook Pro that has the battery built in,  here's Apple's article that describes how to do it for each model:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

SMC Reset on MacBook with removable battery:

Turn off

Unplug the MacBook from power

Remove the battery

Hold the power button for 5 actual seconds

put the battery back in

Plug into power

turn on

SanDisk User
cruzmisl

Actually, PRAM stores startup disk selection among other things. Not a thing of the past--still relevant on Intel-based Macs.

gjh03c

Hey thanks for the replies in advance.  I've been traveling back and forth for work so I haven't had time to check this out.  My macbook is a mid 2012 15 inch nonretina display.  The 2.6 GHZ with 8 gb of Ram and the 750gb HD.  Here is the info you requested.  

Model Identifier:MacBookPro9,1

Hope it helps and can jog your memory so that I can finally resolve this issue.

gjh03c

And i forgot to mention it is connected to the HD Cable.  I still have my dvd player installed.