whc

Sandisk Extreme 500, Enable TRIM OSX?

Planning to upgrade my 2013 iMac with the Sandisk Extreme 500, and use it as system disk. My question should I enable TRIM or do nothing, El Capitan?

SanDisk Professor

Re: Sandisk Extreme 500, Enable TRIM OSX?

Hello, 

i would like to inform you that first of all the portable ssds cannot be used as system and bootable disks since it was planend to use as a secondary and storage drive. so you wont be able to enable the trim option on the drive and i do not think that it will hold up as a system drive and will fail in a very short time

so i suggest using a normal sata drive in that case to ensure that the drive will work fine with the system. 

Good Luck

#Missing the keyboard? Press F1 for help#
whc

[ Edited ]

It is not true that it cannot be used as system or bootable disk. And disappointed to hear you don't have any confidence in Sandisk products. I mean with a warranty of 3 years and with a pricetag of higher end SSD drives, it should be able to handle system disk standards.

If I am not mistaking, there is a SATA drive inside the Extreme 500, a drive of the Plus series, should be able to withstand constant read/write for many years, or correct me if I am wrong?

Read in a rewiev that Sandisk confirmed that the Extreme 500 does supports TRIM, but then again I read allot of people saying it cannot be enabled on USB drives, so am a little confused, and not much details on Sandisk website for the Extreme 500 SSD.

EDIT:

Image of the inside of the Extreme 500 SSD, does appears to be a SATA drive:

sata-controller.JPG

SanDisk Professor

Hello, 

first of all i have confidence in sandisk products however this drive was manufactured to be an external drive not a boot drive, so the recommended use would be for data storage. Furthermore the Trim commands do not pass through a usb connection even though some softwares will send the command and say that trim was performed. 

so even the drive is a sata drive inside the connection  is still usb so the trim command will not work as good as it would run on a normal sata drive. 

of course this is my knowledge and opinion on this. 

Good Luck

#Missing the keyboard? Press F1 for help#