Re: My SSD Hard Disk freezes intermittently.

Update: After trying everything on this forum without lasting results I turned to RMA and have very good experiences with SanDisk Tech Support. Got a brand new one that hasn't frozen in the last week.

I have a 480GB (sdssdx480gg25) and it too is freezing intermittently. This never happened when I had a mechanical HDD in the notebook. 

Sometimes it doesn't freeze at all for weeks, then suddenly for a day or so it freezes every 15-30 minutes. When it freezes the HDD LED lights up and stays on constantly, I can still move the mouse and interact with apps, but as soon as I launch a program or do something else that causes a data read from the SSD, Windows itself then freezes while it waits for the IO read command to complete, the mouse still moves but clicks are totally unresponsive. At this point I force the power off and reboot. Boot speed is fine and everything is great until it freezes again. Rinse and repeat.

I tried setting HIPM and DIPM to active on the current power profile, no luck.

I also tried disabling USB Selective Suspend and PCI Express sleep, no luck.

I ran CHKDSK on the volumes, no errors found.

I have the latest firmware R211.

I'm a PC technician so I know what I'm doing, I can't think of anything else to try. 

I've seen other brands of SSD's freeze like this on specific hardware but I'm not sure if they had the same controller.

Through trial and error I'm convinced it is a problem or compatibility issue with the SSD.

I will try updating the SATA driver but I doubt it would make any difference. It seems hardware/firmware related. I'll report back if the SATA driver resolves the problem.

System:

Toshiba Qosmio F60 latest BIOS (non UEFI, SATA Mode=AHCI)

Core i7 (Calpella Series 5 chipset, SATA II)

Win8 pro (fresh install)

nVidia GeForce GT330M w/driver 136.97

Latest BSOD's since I've had the SSD installed which may be related:

0x00000133 NTFS.SYS (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

0x00000133 hal.dll (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

0x0000009F ntoskrnl.exe (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE)

Again, I never ran into these problems when I had the 750GB Hard Disk. Perhaps a Sandisk technician could test the SSD on one of our affected notebook models in an attempt to replicate the problem.

Update: installing the latest Intel Rapid Start driver didn't help.

I also tried reconnecting the SATA connection thinking it may be a bad connection, no luck.

Problem solved...

The freeze happens exactly 15 minutes after Windows 8 loads, so there must be some kind of 15 minute power saving feature that is causing the problem. I've disabled all the power saving features I could find and even installed the iRST SATA Driver with it's own registry setting to disable HIPM/DIPM on Physical Disk 0, still no luck.

I have Windows 7 and 8 dual boot, I'm using Windows 7 now and it is 100% stable, no more freezing Smiley Happy

hm this means your problem is completely different from mine. I am om windows 7.

My Windows 7 installation is the factory image shipped with the notebook 3 years ago, Service Pack 1 is not installed and no KB's have been installed so there is a possibility that a KB update (for example an update supporting new SSD features/commands) may be causing the problem, which may explain why the freezing is happening in Win8 which would have all those Win7 KB's preinstalled.

Might be a long shot but perhaps it may be worth while testing a fresh install of Win7 non-SP1 with Windows Update disabled.

Well it happened again in Windows 7, not much else I can do except sell the SSD and buy another one that doesn't use the sandforce sf-2281 controller.

Hi,

I post in this thread to help people in solving this problem.

I say that, but I hope mines are solved.

So, this is my story:

1. I bought a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB

2. I installed it in my computer and inserted Win7 DVD

3. The SDD was not found by Win7 installation DVD

4. I reboot on my old HDD and it was still not recognized

5. After a few research, I found that I had to initialize and create a partition on the SSD from the disk management tool

6. After that I retried Win7 installation on the SDD

7. This time SSD was found but only after pressing the "refresh" (or something like that) button

8. Installation was fine and fast

9. After installation, Win7 didn’t want to boot.

10. Problem was the AHCI that was not enabled in my BIOS

11. After enabling it, it was ok

But, after that, I started to have mouse bugs. Sometimes my mouse had a wrong pointer and pointer was altered (green, red, blue).

Also I had freezes. The only solution was to reboot.

I tried to update all drivers and BIOS without success.

I finally looked on the web and I quickly saw that freezing problem is very popular.

Several methods seem helping to resolve these bugs.

I used the following way to solve my problem:

My SDD is plugged on SATA III port 0 of my motherboard (P8H61 PRO). SATA III is managed by an ASMedia controller. So, method that consists in editing the configuration of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver through this registry key doesn't work since my SATA controller is not an Intel one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

I finally used the trick explained here that consists in disabling the low power operation mode (Both HIPM and DIPM) from Windows power options:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

(Refer to the end of the article in order to add "AHCI Link Power Management-HIPM/DIPM" to advanced power settings)

What I wanted to say in this post is that this trick seems to work, at least during last 10 hours.

Note:

A last advice for people like me that enabled AHCI after Windows installation: don’t forget to check that your Windows uses AHCI:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

Finally:

I hope my bugs are totally solved. If it's not the case, I will ask help from SanDisk gurus.

@+

Bad news...

I just had a new freeze.... and it was different than previous ones.

In fact, this time just after freezing, computer shutted down and fan ran very fastly.

(HDD (SSD) led was not set on during freeze).

So, I decided to reinstall my Windows.

During previous Windows installation, AHCi wasn't enabled in the BIOS. During the first boot, I had a blue screen and it was not possible to boot. After research, enabling AHCI allowed to boot correctly.

Maybe my freezes come from this fact (Windows installtion without AHCI enabled)

I confirm that my freezes was not linked to the SSD.

So, the problem was not the SATA low power management (HIPM / DIPM).

Problem came from my grahpic card (Nvidia GTX 550 Ti).

I installed the last available (no beta) driver and this driver seems to be bugged (as well as older versions).

This article explain some things on last Nvidia drivers : http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nvidia-freezes.html

Small trick for poeple that are searching why they have freezes:

- When freeze occurs, check the HDD LED (if it stays ON, it's probably linked to SSD)

- Look to errors in Windows event manger  (I solved my bugs thanks to the event manager)