My SSD Hard Disk freezes intermittently.

Hi there,

I have a similar problem running Win8. Also, my computer is a desktop and it freezes completely which means when it does it will not resume no matter how long I wait.

I was running Win7 for a while upgraded to Win8 and there have been no issues with the computer (drive?) until yesterday. I didn’t do any hardware/software changes before I started having the problem. To be fair it might have frozen a few times in the past but it was never a consistent problem nor did it happen on regular basis. I am assuming it’s a hard drive issur because every time I try to test the disk with either HDTune or chkdsk it freezes immediately. Also every time it does the HDD LED stays on all the time. I deleted some files so now I have almost 40% of the drive free so lack of space shouldn’t be an issue here. Also, as the problem occurred when browsing the web using the Firefox I uninstalled it as I thought that maybe there were some corrupted files. No luck. Also, Sandisk Test utility hasn’t reported any problems and the computer boots up with no issues.

I will do some hardware troubleshooting later (checking the cables, power supply etc) and update the drive firmware but the problem is that this is my main hard drive which has an OS installed on it so I will probably have limited options here. Can you recommend anything specific I should do to isolate the problem or recommend some diagnostic software?

Thanks in advance for your help.