Firmware update R201 released for SanDisk Extreme SSD

I didnt even see the sticky, thank you very much for the response.  Now I just got to cross my fingers that changing the bios from raid to AHCI and back will not cause me to loose my data.  

You all at Sandisk have done a wonderful job with these SSD’s and even better job with the firmware updates.  I almost cant believe the drives dont loose the data when you do the firmware update, keep up the good work!!

The update went smoothly and I had no issues with changing from Raid to AHCI and back to Raid, my data remained intact and windows booted with no problems after I reset the Raid setting and reconfigured the boot order.  One odd thing did happen, I booted to the ISO while still in the raid array and the firmware update software saw my two SSD’s, I did not try to apply the update while still set to raid because of the fear of breaking the drives but it seems like that could be possible.

Thank you again drlucky for pointing me to the sticky with the iso download.

Hello Guys,

I tried to update my Sandisk Extreme 240 GB from R112 to R201 but failed. I have tried it with the CD-ROM ISO method.

System:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E

Feed: AHCI

Additional info: no extra HDD only a IDE DVD ROM

It boots in the Sandisk Firmware Updater but when you press Enter to Update it Fails.

Also I am getting Blue Screen Of Death with Stop: 0x000000F4. Any ideas what could have caused this !?

Thanks in Advance!

1 Like

I’ve tried to make a bootable USB from the .iso file i downloaded for my 240GB sandisk extreme since I am using a mac mini without any optical drive. No luck! Disk Utility states some error 254 and “can’t recognize the source”. Suggestions for a fix?

1 Like

@roeljamil wrote:

Hello Guys,

I tried to update my Sandisk Extreme 240 GB from R112 to R201 but failed. I have tried it with the CD-ROM ISO method.

System:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E

Feed: AHCI

Additional info: no extra HDD only a IDE DVD ROM

It boots in the Sandisk Firmware Updater but when you press Enter to Update it Fails.

Also I am getting Blue Screen Of Death with Stop: 0x000000F4. Any ideas what could have caused this !?

Thanks in Advance!

if you get a message that says frimware update failed from the update tool you may need to get the drive replaced. you should probably contact sandisk support. 

1 Like

@mikalmo wrote:

I’ve tried to make a bootable USB from the .iso file i downloaded for my 240GB sandisk extreme since I am using a mac mini without any optical drive. No luck! Disk Utility states some error 254 and “can’t recognize the source”. Suggestions for a fix?

the ISO you can download cant be used for a bootable USB drive. currently thhe downloadable ISO is the only solution for operating systems other than Windows. You will need to get an optical drive to the computer. an external cdROM should be ok as long as the computer can use it as a boot device. 

1 Like

Im planning to buy sandisk extreme but for me as a less techie, i cant understand how to upgrade an ssd firmware connected as a main drive. My question is “is it possible to add the ssd as a new additional drive (D : ) for example  and then upgrade the ssd firmware then convert it as a main drive?”

Upgrading the drive as a main drive is easy. Just follow the instructions in the tool kit. Basically you will create bootable CD or USB drive and use that to boot the computer and upgrade the firmware. Detailed instructions are in the help file of the tool kit. 

Our keyboards don’t work – we can’t update!!

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/keyboard-problems/td-p/278472

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/Keyboard-does-not-work-in-firmware-updater/td-p/278616

When I try to update with a usb drive it gets stuck at loading ramdisk. . . . . . . . . . . .ready then nothing happens. 

I want to update the firmware in my SanDisk Extreme on my Linux machine.

Where is there an ISO download that I can burn to do this?

Thanks.

I just checked my SanDisk Extreme 480 GB SSD and it is already at firmware R201.

But, this drive just refuses to perform TRIM(discard).

I’ve verified in everyway possible that the drive supports TRIM but no TRIM ever takes place.

Even fstrim in Linux fails on any mountpoint on the SSD.

I’m having the same problem where my bios update freezes at kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0xd. I hope a solution is out there…

I just read this article about TRIM not working in Sandforce/LSI firmware v5.x - http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4870/lsi_sandforce_5_series_ssd_firmware_trim_lost_and_found_performance_investigated/index.html

I wonder what version of LSI Sandforce firmware Sandisk base their R201 on…

Hello!

I want to update the firmware of my Extreme240, created bootable USB-drive, booted, all works fine…

BUT: my SSD is not listed by Sandisk Firmware Update, all other HDDs are!!! And so I can’t select it or perform any update.

AHCI-Mode enabled, MB: Gigabyte Z68X UD3H B3

THX 4 reply

EDIT: Windows allready installed and running.

zunamy, Is your Ex 240 connected to the Intel SATA ports, or other SATA chipset like Marvell that your board may have. It must be on an Intel SATA port to update the firmware.

@killabee wrote:

I just read this article about TRIM not working in Sandforce/LSI firmware v5.x - http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4870/lsi_sandforce_5_series_ssd_firmware_trim_lost_and_found_performance_investigated/index.html

You read the article but don’t know the answer to that question? Just being sarcastic?

R201 is based on the SF 5.0.1 firmware. Which is why you Linux users see that TRIM is not working.

@parsec wrote:

@killabee wrote:

You read the article but don’t know the answer to that question? Just being sarcastic?

R201 is based on the SF 5.0.1 firmware. Which is why you Linux users see that TRIM is not working.

I can find no mention of R201 in that article however I do believe that since R201 was released in May 2012, these Sandforce Extreme drives do not have trim.

I have 2 Extreme 240G and 1 Extreme 480G with all R201 firmware.

Where is the firmware with the trim fix?

Other manufacturers have already released the 5.0.3 firmware that fixes the trim so why not Sandisk?

If I am wrong, please correct me but I thought that Sandisk actually writes the code anyways so why not release it for their own drives?

I would much rather have the 5.0.3 than wait for 5.0.4 to fix my trim.

The last thing is, and again I may be wrong, but I find it difficult to believe that Sandisk did not know ot the trim issue before releasing these drives and firmware. I am sure that all manufacturers go through an extensive testing program including trim before releasing a product.

The Validation Process that most manufacturers including Sandisk claim is extensive and precise.

Considering Validation missed TRIM Support by Sandisk and Others proves Validation is  a BS statement and not a process !!!

oct is coming, no firmware yet?