SanDisk User

Re: Firmware R211 release

The latest IRST driver, which is classified as a RAID driver, although it works great in AHCI mode, is 11.6.0.1030. That one is a bit finicky on some systems, in RAID mode Window sees it as a SCSI driver, and the IRST Windows GUI does not work when third party SATA controllers (Marvell, ASMedia) are enabled with their standard drivers.

I would suggest IRST 11.2.0.1006, which you can get direct from Intel here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21407&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

What mother board or Intel SATA chipset are you using?

I have an Alienware Laptop with a 3rd gen Ivy Bridge Proc. and the HM77 Chipset. That was the driver I installed, but I opted for the driver only and no utility. Any other utility that can give link speeds and such? Maybe CPU-Z or similar? I hate bloat..

PreFirmware

This is PreFirmware

PostFirmware

Post Firmware

IASTOR

IASTOR installed

Performance goes right back up reverting back to MSAHCI, but I want the first numbers back!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

parsec wrote:

The latest IRST driver, which is classified as a RAID driver, although it works great in AHCI mode, is 11.6.0.1030. That one is a bit finicky on some systems, in RAID mode Window sees it as a SCSI driver, and the IRST Windows GUI does not work when third party SATA controllers (Marvell, ASMedia) are enabled with their standard drivers.

I would suggest IRST 11.2.0.1006, which you can get direct from Intel here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21407&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

What mother board or Intel SATA chipset are you using?

SanDisk User

I'm using a Z77 chipset desktop board.

Your benchmark results clearly show you are running at SATA III speeds, otherwise your sequential read speed would not be over ~270MB/s. Ironically, the Intel IRST Windows UI will show the actual link speed, but that is not a question anymore.

If you're just looking at the final "score", then AS SSD needs some explanation. Your actual read and write speeds have not changed that much. AS SSD gives more points for high 4K-64Thrd speeds, lose a little there and you lose more points. That test puts 64 I/O requests in a group and sends them to the drive all at once. NO PC user does anything that creates that workload, so it is a worthless test.

Check your read and write sub-score in each benchmark. The Read score went down by 1, and then 2. The Write score dropped by almost 40 with FW R211. Note the 4K-64 Thrd Write speed in each, it dropped. That is what lowers the final score the most.

I also wonder, when using the iaStor driver, if Write Caching is enabled on your SSD. Check it in Device Manager, in the Policy tabs. Actually, if it is checked, uncheck it and click Ok. Then go right back in, check Write caching, and click Ok.

Finally, AS SSD is the toughest benchmark to run on a SandForce based SSD. Try ATTO or CrystalDiskMark, with the test data set to all 0 or 1.

Hi,  Just created a the firmware update on USB flash drive and about to upgrade the firmware.  I have a problem though.  No keyboard function after booting from the USB drive with the firmware on.  Only got USB ports on my PC no PS/2 on the mobo at the back..  Tried 2 keyboards, current KB Blackwidow Ultimate and Logi G11, both don't work on the firmware upgrade screen.

Using z77x UP5 TH mobo if that's any help to anyone that could help me if there's some setting in the BIOS is need to enable for keyboard funtionality on the FW upgrade screen.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Your fancy keyboards require very specific drivers that are not part of the firmware update. You could try enabling "Legacy USB support" in your BIOS, but that might do nothing for you. A very basic USB keyboard will work, but anything wireless will not.

Also be sure you are using the USB2.0 ports on the rear I/O panel of your board.

You're quite right, plugged Kb into a USB 2.0 port and it stayed powered up on the firmware update screen.  Didn't think ti mattered tbh as USB 3 ports are backward compatible but guess it does matter..

Cheers anyway.

SanDisk Guru

DazUk wrote:

You're quite right, plugged Kb into a USB 2.0 port and it stayed powered up on the firmware update screen.  Didn't think ti mattered tbh as USB 3 ports are backward compatible but guess it does matter..

Cheers anyway.

USB 3.0 is a different driver so that would make sunce if the 3.0 driver is not in the linux kernal used for the ssd update tool. 

Flashed my drive last night with no problems. Will see if the new firmware makes any difference when Bench marking.