Unable to Format Sandisk Extreme Pro - Windows 10

After 3 different attempts I have been unsuccessful in formatting my SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD. Here are the formatting settings in the New Simple Volume Wizard:

Volume Type: Simple Volume

Volume Size: 228934 MB

Drive letter or path: F:

File System: NTFS

Allocation unit size: Default

Volume label: New Volume

Quick format: yes

For some reason it always fails whereas I’ve never had any problems with my Samsung drives.

What happens is as soon as I click finish on the new volume wizard, File Explorer pops up with an error: “Location is not available: F:\ is not accessible” and then after that a message from Virtual Disk Manager: “The format did not complete successfully”. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, though I fear I have a faulty drive.

-Mike

Just to add, tried using diskpart in the command prompt and get a little more information in terms of error messages. This time:

_ DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect. See the System Event Log for more information. _

So I checked the System Event Log and found an error and warning of note:

_ Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2. _

Warning: The IO operation at logical block address 0x5bd008 for Disk 11 (PDO name: \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP2T1L0-12) was retried.

Looks like a faulty drive. Contact sandisk support to check on warranty replacement. 

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Actually have a new update on this…looks like (hopefully) the drive is ok.

As a last resort I powered off the computer, took out the drive and plugged it into a different bay (I’m using a Vantec NexStar). Once booted, went back to manage the volumes and was able to successfully format the SanDisk SSD.

Assuming the drive is ok, does this mean that this particular sata port on my motherboard might be shot?

Either way, thanks again for your reply and crossing my fingers the drive was in fact fine and it’s an issue with either my sata port or the port on my Vantec drive bay.

Thanks!

-Mike

@ironsoup wrote:

Assuming the drive is ok, does this mean that this particular sata port on my motherboard might be shot?

That could be the case. Could be the cable or simply a bad connection as well. 

SANDISK recommends Extreme PRO 64GB or 128GB SDXC 633X for Nikon D750 .