Poor performance of ExtremePro 240GB

Yep, I see it, thanks. I’m using XFS, it also supports TRIM.

About discard - after some extensive reading which I did today after getting my Extreme Pro 480GB, I figured out it’s actually not a good idea, because Linux kernel doesn’t implement it efficiently (and it was never fixed as far as I know).

The kernel implementation of realtime trim in 11.2, 11.3, and 11.4 is not optimized. The spec. calls for trim supporting a vectorized list of trim ranges, but as of kernel 3.0 trim is only invoked by the kernel with a single discard / trim range and with current mid 2011 SSDs this has proven to cause a performance degradation instead of a performance increase. There are few reasons to use the kernels realtime discard support with pre-3.1 kernels. It is not known when the kernels discard functionality will be optimized to work beneficially with current generation SSDs.

See this article.

So recommended way is to use periodic TRIM with fstrim. At least on Debian I did this:

sudo cp /usr/share/doc/util-linux/examples/fstrim.{service,timer} /etc/systemd/system sudo systemctl enable fstrim.timer sudo systemctl start fstrim.timer

It creates a systemd weekly timer which will call fstrim -a which does TRIM on each supported partition.