Installing without using USB?

Hi,

I just bought an Extreme Pro 240gb drive, and did not realise part of the installation steps was connecting it via USB until I got home - I’m obviously keen to try it out, but don’t have a SATA to USB cable.

Is it possible to install more like a normal HDD? I tried, and the BIOS registers it, but Windows 10 cannot see it.

In fact the first time I tried booting with it plugged in, Windows spat out I/O errors at me and wouldn’t boot. I unplugged it, rebooted fine, plugged it back in, and rebooted fine again, but it is invisible to both the SSD Dashboard, and to the Windows Disk Management.

Cheers,

biqua

Update - third time lucky, and after another reboot it is visable.

Should I be concerned though that I had I/O errors initially?

It is possible, and IMO ideal, to NOT use a USB-to-SATA. Instead, use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a Windows 10 install USB stick or ISO DVD. Make this using the computer you will put the SSD in and check the box to make the files tailored to that computer. Then, disable SecureBoot, install the SSD, and boot off of the USB drive or ISO DVD. Delete and format existing partitions on the drive, and then allow the clean install to do itself.

Cloning is rarely as good as a clean install. Further, with cloning you cannot upgrade certain aspects. For example, if you have a newer computer, it may use Legacy BIOS for an older OS, but be able to use the superior UEFI. As the primary C drive partition, using NTFS w/ GPT is superior to any other file system and NTFS w/ MBR.

As for the IO errors, you can plug the drive into a USB enclosure and use CrystalDiskInfo to pull SMART data. While never 100% accurate, it does a pretty good job at predicting drive failure and alerting you to any of the fail indicators.

Biqua,

I/O error can happen for various reasons, and not necessarily an indication of a bad SSD, especially you are connecting the drive to the system with USB-SATA adaptor, at this moment it seems you got the drive working, I would recommend you run a SMART test with dashboard or a third party tool, and keep monitor if any I/O error continues to happen.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven’t had a chance to get a USB cable yet, but have performed both the quick and more in depth S.M.A.R.T. tests, without errors.

It seems to be functioning well now as a normal drive, and I have don’t a fresh installation of Windows 10, which is considerably smaller than the old installation, so there obviously a lot of legacy clutter no longer required.

I was also impressed how quick the installation was compared to installing on a HDD, so it is proving its worth already. :slight_smile:

Nice information…

Thanks for the informative post & for providing us with this great write up, Keep it up.
Do Visit Adaalo.

@biqua wrote:

Hi,

I just bought an Extreme Pro 240gb drive, and did not realise part of the installation steps was connecting it via USB until I got home - I’m obviously keen to try it out, but don’t have a SATA to USB cable.

Is it possible to install more like a normal HDD? I tried, and the BIOS registers it, but Windows 10 cannot see it.

In fact the first time I tried booting with it plugged in, Windows spat out I/O errors at me and wouldn’t boot. I unplugged it, rebooted fine, plugged it back in, and rebooted fine again, but it is invisible to both the SSD Dashboard, and to the Windows Disk Management.

Cheers,

biqua

With respect to the IO blunders, you can connect the drive to a USB walled in area and utilize CrystalDiskInfo to pull SMART information. While never 100% precise, it completes a really great job at foreseeing drive disappointment and alarming you to any of the fall flat pointers.

@biqua wrote:

Hi,

FetLife IMVU Canva

Cheers,

biqua

With respect to the IO blunders, you can connect the drive to a USB walled in area and utilize CrystalDiskInfo to pull SMART information. While never 100% precise, it completes a really great job at foreseeing drive disappointment and alarming you to any of the fall flat pointers.

@biqua wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

biqua

Cloning is rarely as good as a clean install. Further, with cloning you cannot upgrade certain aspects. For example, if you have a newer computer, it may use Legacy BIOS for an older OS, but be able to use the superior UEFI. As the primary C drive partition, using NTFS w/ GPT is superior to any other file system and NTFS w/ MBR.

If you are talking about the saving date online, then try to add to any cloud storage. I seen some website of survival knife reviews, that store their data online and take always backup of it.