SanDisk User

Re: Slow to wake from sleep

deviantintegral, thanks for posting the response you received, since this issue is being dismissed as an OS X issue, but as you said, it is not isolated to OS X. I'm not saying it is not an OS X issue, but it isn't for me since I'm using Windows 8.1 on a PC I built myself.

I guess I will create a support ticket, but I want to be sure it's not something I'm doing. Three other SSDs in the same PC are unaffected by waking from Sleep.

SanDisk User

So I installed Windows 8.1 on my Extreme II, works fine, very fast, no problems... except...

Put the PC to Sleep, and wake failed, first no video/black screen, then a Win 8.1 BSOD screen, auto restart, and Windows started fine.

Very consistent so far, I've never had a successful wake from Sleep with this SSD. I've used several other SSDs as OS drives on this PC, which did not have any problem waking from Sleep.

But since we are not seeing a flood of reports of this issue, hard to say what is happening.

I also have this issue, both on OS X 10.9.2 and Windows 7SP1 with SanDisk Extreme II 480GB (not apple hardware).  It's too bad, because otherwise I am very happy with the drive.

I also have a number of Plextor M5Pro's (Marvell Controller as well) and they perform without issue.

Last night I installed OS X 10.9.2 on a second partition on the SSD, so absolutely nothing else could interfere. Wake issue showed up even during the first login setup process. Given the reports of Win7, Win8, and OS X issues, it does seem like an issue with the disk and not the OS.

I'm going to schedule a call with Apple and I'll update here, just in case they have any suggestions now that I've got a bare install to play with.

SanDisk User

So just purchased another SanDisk EX II, a 240GB version this time. It's a great SSD, considered one of the top three "Hyper Class" SSDs by TweakTown, in several reviews they have done on the full line of Extreme IIs.

This EX II will have Windows 7 installed on it, in a standard BIOS/Legacy booting installation. I'll then see if the wake from Sleep issue is seen on this PC, which is entirely different than my other PC using a 480GB EX II, including the OS, mother board, CPU, and chipset/SATA controller.

For the record, SanDisk products have never given me any significant issues, and I know SanDisk is not just a company that markets "me too" SSDs, they are among the largest producers of NAND chips with their partner, Toshiba. One of the company's founders is the inventor or co-inventor of NAND flash memory. Since the EX II uses the Marvell 9187 SSD controller, SanDisk must provide the firmware for the controller. If SanDisk is not able to reproduce the issue in their testing, it would be nice to know that, so we can move on to identify the source of this issue.

I talked to Apple, and had a subpar experience. The first level tech had me check a bunch of things, and the issue replicated fine on a bare OS. I got passed to a second level tech... who said that because I'd replaced the hard drive, they wouldn't support OS X on it. This is a new policy (or perhaps they were just trying to get me to go away), but rather annoying as at that point we didn't know if the issue was a bug in the drive firmware or in the OS X ACHI drivers.

I just called Sandisk, and it turns out they've replicated this issue at least with OS X, though I don't know what hardware they tested with. They've escalated the issue internally to their R&D team. There's no ETA yet, as they don't know the root cause, but at least there's some hope of a fix. I was super impressed with the call; one menu and I was speaking to a person who seemed knowledgable.

If anyone reading this can replicate this and hasn't called or emailed in, I'd say it's worth doing as it might help them solve the problem, or at least know it's impacting a larger range of customers.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I am still experiencing the problem and awaiting a fix from Sandisk. As I mentioned previously (which is a long time ago now - 25th Feb!) they closed my case after stating that development was working on this issue. So I'm pleased they are still on the case and I'm looking forward to a fix. (I hope a firmware fix is possible as if this is it is a low power state SATA high speed serial state machine issue, it might be a silicon fault...)

Regards,

Peter

Same problem. Really anoying.

Not only this problem, I found that my ssd also make noise especially when I download something. It is really weird that why my SSD drive produce sound just like HDD drive.

HOPE THERE WILL BE SOME FIRMWIRE UPDATE SOON!

Does anyone else have the same problem? 

I have same issues.

I replaced a Extreme II 240G SSD for my macbook pro 13" 2011 late,the model is MD314.OS X is 10.9.2.I have made a pure installation from apple recovery online,and upgraded all the last packages from Applestore.

Everything is OK except waking from sleep.The MBP is freezed,after about 30-45 seconds,it comes into the desktop.I have another SSD plextor M5S 256G,It'll take about 5-10 seconds waking from sleep.and a Sumsung 830 128G,It wakes from sleep immediately.

M5S and Extreme II have a new function 'DEVSLP',I think it may cause the issues.

I hope this problem could be solved in the future.

Hi, same issue here. I have a macbook pro running OSX Mavericks. It takes about 30s to wake up..

This is really annoying...

Hope it will be fixed soon.