Extreme II Mac Support

I don’t see this well documented anywhere, please advise what level of support (if any) there is…

Also this post makes no sense:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD-Firmware-R211m-download-for-for-MacBook-and/td-p/285948/page/4

The older Sandisk Extreme didn’t work on those Macs just because of their SATA controller, the SSD controller/fw is also a factor.

The Extreme II uses a very different config. to the Extreme, so it may work, or it may misbehave just as much (albeit differently).

Has anyone tested it on mid-2009 Macs & beyond, which models have you had sucess with???

Thank-you.

Anyone. Thank-you

Anyone? Thank-you.

Can I get some feedback to this please, it’s been outstanding for long enough now.

The issue is with the Nvidia SATA controller. The Nvidia SATA controller does not negotiate the link speed correctly for the Extreme II SSD and the Extreme II SSD will be recognized as a SATA 21 device. SanDisk has not and has no plans (this was posted in a different post) to release a FW that will lock the SSD in SATA 2 like they did for the Extreme SSD. So in short the Extreme SSD will not work in SATA II with a computer that has the Nvidia MCP79 SATA chipset.

That makes zero sense, why does it work fine (i.e. Negotiate down to SATA II) with other SSD’s then, sorry but I suspect you’re talking complete nonsense.

Because it took sooo long to get feedback from Sandisk (I called local support but had to wait for a ph call the next day because the SSD experts had knocked-off), I could no longer wait & went ahead & ordered an Extreme II.

I’ll be VERY annoyed if it turns out it doesn’t work…

@jedl wrote:

That makes zero sense, why does it work fine (i.e. negotiate down to SATA II) with other SSD’s then…

When I say “other SSD’s”, I mean other SATA III SSD’s, from what I’ve seen it doesn’t handshake down to SATA I with ALL 6G SSD’s.

So just a few things here.

You posted your first message here at 2AM on a Friday night. This is a user forum and most of us power users do not even look at the forum on weekends. In addition to that SanDisk employees do respond to post here but they also are not open weekends. So you may want to take the timely response comments under a little more consideration.

Secondly just google search Nvidia MCP79 SATA chipset negotiated link speed. You probably will not even have to type it all out as it will most likely be one of the top google auto complete results. This issue happens on a wide variety of SSD from SanDisk, Intel, Crucial, and OCZ to name a few. The fact of the matter is the issue is on the SATA chipset side and since it is an obsolete chipset no updates are being released by Nvidia. Some manufactures released a FW specifically for this issue that locks the SSD in SATA 2 taking away the link negotiation by the SATA chipset. Any manufacturer is by no means obligated to release such a work around for a issue that is actually caused by the SATA chipset. 

Lastly you ask if it would work. There are users who have posted here that the link speed is not negotiated correctly in a computer using the Nvidia MCP79 SATA chipset. This is the honest answer. IF you get it and it works for you that is great but you have been fairly warned that you may see negotiated link speed issues. If your main use case is to use this SSD with a computer that has the MCP79 SATA chipset this is not the SSD for you. Send it back to the place of purchase for a refund and go with a different product. There is really no need to the hostile attitude towards people trying to answer your questions. 

You need to relax. You think I haven’t done heaps of research/Googling? Of course I have…

That’s precisely why your assertion that it’ll throttle down to 1.5G with any 6G drive period was confusing to me.

Sure I’ve come across the odd drive that does do that, but at the same time it also seems to be fine with others.

That casts doubt on your assertion that the problem is “solely” due to the controller…

So, naturally I’m going to be confused or question your claim when it conflicts with what’s out there.

My frustrations aren’t directed at any “volunteers” here, they’re laid solely at the feet of Sandisk personnel,

with whom I’ve been in a dialogue with since before I posted here last Friday afternoon (AustEST).

Had I gotten a clear-cut answer long ago*, I could’ve avoided ordering a drive that’s massive overkill for 1.5G,

alas it’s too late to cancel now, I’ve no choice but to test it once it arrives, & return it if it does indeed stick to 1.5G.

I may not even bother with returning it, we won’t have this Mac for any longer than 12mth (probably less), whereupon it’ll be sold, so the drive can always be salvaged & reused I guess, still a complete PIA though.

*not a guess, but rather a genuine confirmation (based on lab testing) that it runs at 1.5 or 3G

I installed an Extreme II without issue & despite my fears* the SATA II controller (MCP79) didn’t handshake to 1.5G, it’s connected at 3G & so far I’m noticing a big difference.

Can anyone recommend some excellent SSD analysis/diagnostic sw for OSX & Windows (I’ll be installing the latter on the same machine soon)?
Once Windows is installed I’ll install the drive’s management software, which looks quite interesting…

Cheers!
*& contrary to Sandisk’s claims

[QUOTE]I know that, I mean overkill in the sense that I’ll very rarely notice a difference between this premium drive & much cheaper ones, especially at 1.5G.
N.B. IIRC the Extreme isn’t as small as the Extreme II…[/QUOTE]

My concerns here turned out to be unfounded too…
With the spacer, the anti-static pads/stickers*, & thermo sensor (repositioned slightly -not sure if it was the best spot), it was a very snug fit!

*which in hindsight I prolly didn’t need to put onto the SSD after removing them from the HDD

Sorry, this forum crashed before I could finish properly editing my last post (prior page).

I’ve just come back now but it seems the editing time has elapsed, I’ll submit a clearer one later.

I installed an Extreme II & despite my fears* the SATA II controller didn’t handshake to 1.5G, it’s connected @3G & I’m noticing a BIG difference.

Can anyone recommend some excellent SSD analysis/diag. & benchmark sw for OS X & Windows?

(I’ll be installing the latter on the same machine soon)
Once Windows is installed I’ll install the drive’s management software, which looks quite interesting…

My fears that it won’t fit firmly because of it’s slightly smaller form-factor (which has been an issue on some Macs) were also unfounded.
With the spacer, the anti-static pads/stickers**, & thermo sensor (repositioned slightly -not sure if it’s the best spot), it was a very snug fit!

Cheers
*& contrary to Sandisk’s claims
**which in hindsight I probably didn’t need to place on the SSD after removing them from the HDD

In looking at your thread, you went ahead ans purchased anyways and it worked well?

I ask because i am considering the SSD extreme II for my late 2008 macbook and notice i have the reference MCP79

will this Sandisk SSD: SDSSDXP-480G-G25 fit and work in my 2008 unibody macbook?

2008 Macbook 13-inch, aluminim

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GB 1067 MHZ DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Thanks

Dana

Worked for me, can’t say with certainty it’ll work for you, at a very quick/superficial look I don’t see why not.