Trim and Sandisk Extreme 900

Is trim available on a Sandisk Extreme 900 when using a Mac? If yes, how so. If no, what do you recommend?

IIRC TRIM commands are not passed over USB. The drive has internal garbage collection so leaving it in a idle state should allow the SSD to run garbage collection. 

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Does garbage collection function if drive is erased and partioned to mac journaled? And what about trim and garbage collection if using thunderbolt instead of usb?

Garbage collection should run regardless of what file system is on the drive.

As far as TRIM I am pretty sure it is only passed over SATA and PCI-E and USB or thunderbolt do not pass TRIM commands from the OS. 

1 Like

@drlucky wrote:

Garbage collection should run regardless of what file system is on the drive.

As far as TRIM I am pretty sure it is only passed over SATA and PCI-E and USB or thunderbolt do not pass TRIM commands from the OS. 

The drive has internal garbage collection so leaving it in a idle state should allow the SSD to run garbage collection. 

@wailita wrote:

@drlucky wrote:

Garbage collection should run regardless xender discord omegle of what file system is on the drive.

The drive has internal garbage collection so leaving it in a idle state should allow the SSD to run garbage collection.