Some questions on how a PC can retrieve files from the Wireless Stick

Hi.

I am thinking of purchasing the Connect Wireless Stick. But I have a few questions.

Let me clear out something first. I do not intent to plug it on a PC. I intent to plug it on an electronic device that takes measurements from the environment and outputs a csv file to the root folder of a USB stick (in our case this would be the Connect Wireless Stick).

so my questions are:

(a) Will the Stick get an IP address (ie 192.168.1.100) automatically from my modem/router? How? Please note that my electronic device has no screen or keyboard. So all settings (if any) must be applied on a PC and then plugging the Stick to the electronic device. Is this possible?

(b) My electronic device has no option to store data-dumps to a certain folder of the USB Stick. It stores automatically all data on a scheduled basis on the root folder of the USB stick. Will these files be available to retrieve from my laptop? How? (e.g. by HTTP GET or by sharing the root folder of the stick with my laptop (running Windows) through Samba or other sharing protocol?). Is this procedure straightforward or will I have a hard time setting this up?

And finally, is this Stick the product that suits my needs or should I look for something else?

Thank you for your time. Any help would be grately appreciated.

it sounds like you are looking to use the device in a data logger type of environment. this use case would void the warranty of sandisk retail products. take a look at the sandisk waraanty page below to see what use cases are not covered by their warranty. 

https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/warranty/warranty-united-states 

“This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras, (v) display devices that loop video, (vi) continuous recording set top box devices, (vii) continuous data logging devices like servers, or (viii) other excessive uses that exceed normal use in accordance with published instructions.”

That being said I do not think this device would work for your use case regardless of the warranty. The device cannot be connected via MSC and wirelessly simultaneously. 

I really appreciate your time to answer my inquiry. However, I do have some objections.

(i), (ii) , (iii) , (iv), (v): Not the case

(vi) maybe, I don’t know what a set-top box is. However there is no continuous recording in my case.

(vii) Again, not continuous, and not a Server.

(viii) Not excessive use. The Stick will be accessed once every week from the electronic device to store one file.

Also, I don’t understand the following phrase: " The device cannot be connected via MSC and wirelessly simultaneously. "

What is MSC? And why can’t be access simultaneously?

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your time.

MSC Mass Storage Class. if the drive is connected via USB and is mounted to a system as a MSC device it cannot be accessed via wifi at the same time. The controller does not supprot this. 

I have a similar data logging application. (BTW warranty is not an issue due to the low cost of these sticks.)

After some trial (and all errors) I concluded that the stick could not act as a mass storage device and a WiFi communications server simultaneously.  Pity the YouTubers never point this out.

Is this something that SanDisk is working on? 

I understand the conflict over who is master in the situation where USB and wireless access occurs simultaneously. In theory the internal OS (Linux flavor?) could arbitrate, but that is not the way drivers are typically structured.

I have an alternate suggestion.  I would like to be able to use a wireless interface command to turn USB access on/off. When USB is off, I would then dump/delete all files of interest wirelessly, and then turn USB access back on. When USB access is on, wireless access to the data files would be disabled.  This is equivalent to unplugging, then re-plugging, the stick into the data logger. It’s helpful for the case where the data logger is quite inaccessable, though not far away.

Access to the (web) server would still have to persist, which might require a separate partition(?) on the card, or a small separate internal storage resource, from which to run the server.  I would consider this an “advanced” option, but I would think many others would be interested.  I am unaware of any product on the market which does what I am proposing.

Any thoughts?

the controller does not support this so no it will not be changed. also since this is a consumer device not intended for the type of use you are using it for I doubt any feature would be added to turn USB off/on