Few things that could make this device amazing.

Hi,

I really like my new Sandisk Connect 200GB drive.

However there are a few things that I can’t seem to get to work, or are missing, any tips would be amazing.

1. Encryption. Is there really no way to protect the drive? I’m on a MAC using OSX. If I format as with the Mac encrypted file system will the wireless side work? Seems to be exFat at the moment.

2. Folders. Are you really telling me via the web page to transfer files I can’t upload a folder?!

3. iCloud. On iOS the app doesn’t seem to have any link to iCloud drive is that right?

4. Mounting. Is there no way to turn wireless on. Then mount the drive as an actual drive? I’ve read you can, but it’s read only. WHY?!

Any help with these questions could be great. They all seem like really basic features that are standard on every other USB stick.

Regards,

Simon

1 Like

@simonpickard wrote:

Hi,

I really like my new Sandisk Connect 200GB drive.

However there are a few things that I can’t seem to get to work, or are missing, any tips would be amazing.

1. Encryption. Is there really no way to protect the drive? I’m on a MAC using OSX. If I format as with the Mac encrypted file system will the wireless side work? Seems to be exFat at the moment.

the connect drive does not support encryption. the only file system that can be used is exFAT on the 200GB drive. drives 32GB and smaller use FAT32

1. Folders. Are you really telling me via the web page to transfer files I can’t upload a folder?!

the web interface has limited functionality. uploading folders is not supported. For folder upload use direct USB connection. 

1. iCloud. On iOS the app doesn’t seem to have any link to iCloud drive is that right?

photos stored in icloud and synced with icloud photo library can also be transfered to the connect drive but there is no other icloud integration. 

1. Mounting. Is there no way to turn wireless on. Then mount the drive as an actual drive? I’ve read you can, but it’s read only. WHY?!

The controller only supports MSC or wireless one at a time. if it is mounted as a MSC device (connected via USB) wifi is not accessible. This is a hardware limitation. If you are referering to mapping it as a network drive this is also not a supported feature. 

Any help with these questions could be great. They all seem like really basic features that are standard on every other USB stick.

Regards,

Simon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand these aren’t features. I’m saying they should be. Would it be possible to fix some of these? I mean uploading folders via the website should be easy as pie. The others would hopefully be something fixable via firmware updates also.

What are the chances of these happening you think, as the device is pretty limited without them.

Regards,

Simon

1 Like

The primary use case for the product is with a mobile device. The web interface has not had a lot of changes or enhancements since release. I would say the chance that this will change is fairly unlikely. Same with mounting the device as a network drive. 

The controller does not support wifi and MSC connection simultaneously. This is a hardware limitation so there would be no change with this functionality. 

the device is not marketed or sold as a secure product so support for encrypted file systems is also unlikely. The iXpand does support secure access (sandisk password protection and encryption application) so that may be added in the future but supporting encrypted file systems is not likely.

iCloud integration may expand but again the primary use case this product is marketed for is a mobile devices. I would say it is fairly unlikely there will be any changes in the integration with icloud. 

That’s a shame, I think I’ll need to look for a different product then.

Seems like a weird market to go after.

With everything heading into the cloud on mobile this product, while useful a few years ago, really isn’t needed with iCloud and it’s like now.

Oh well, I’m sure there are other wifi storage devies out there that are aimed more at OSX and PC users. The search continues.

Regards,

Simon

1 Like

I know I’m awaking an old post but I just came across it and it seems to be answering something that was driving me crazy.  I’m dumbfounded that it could be true so I’m looking for confirmation.

Can I really not write to my Wireless Connect over WiFi from a Mac??

A big part of why I bought this thing was the belief that I could write to it either as a local USB drive, or as a WiFi drive from either iOS or OSX.  iOS works fine of course, and local works fine, but I had not actually tried writing over WiFi on OSX until now, and of course I can’t get it to work.  Now I’m concerned that it was never intended to and never will.

Is this really the case?

1 Like

IIRC the webapp has been updated and now support the ability to upload.

Ah but only through the webapp?  That’s most unfortunate as it’s incredibly clunky to do uploads one file at a time via a browser.  I expected it to just appear as a networked drive.  :(

yes the only way to access it from a computer is the web app. Mounting as a network drive is not supported.