Nokia A032 wlan access point

Hi,

I’m working on the project, which involves sdi over fiber extender, we’re passing signal from ip camera through fiber extender and on the receiver site ip cable comes to Nokia A032 wlan access point, can we use it as switch or concentrator or it’s not a good idea.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

I have seen this question posted a lot on this subreddit, I have responded to many of those posts however I figured it would be a good idea to create 1 post containing all the different methods (as well as the pros and cons of each method) to use your own router.

If you don’t want to read the whole post you can skip to the end where I recommend which option you should use.

First there are 2 important things that need to be explained.

What is the Home Internet gateway?

The Home Internet gateway is actually 4 things in 1:

A. A modem. A modem receives the signal and converts it into a usable internet signal.

B. A router. A router manages all the devices on the network and how data is routed over the network.

C. An access point. An access point broadcasts a WiFi signal.

D. An ethernet switch. An ethernet switch allows multiple devices to be connected to the same ethernet connection.

Frequently people use “router” to refer to a combo unit consisting of a router, access point, ethernet switch, and sometimes a modem, although that’s technically incorrect.

On many modems there is the option to enable bridge mode, which disables all functionality except for modem functionality and https://100001.onl/ allows you to use your own router without any issues, however that isn’t an option on T-Mobile Home Internet.

1. What is NAT?

NAT allows multiple devices to share the same public internet address.

For example think of an apartment complex, multiple apartments might share the same street address however each apartment will have its own apartment number that will allow packages to be delivered to the correct apartment.

Adding more NAT can introduce various problems, ideally you want as little NAT as possible. One of the common issues associated with adding additional NAT is losing the ability to configure the firewall. T-Mobile Home Internet blocks firewall configuration regardless so that doesn’t matter for this. T-Mobile Home Internet has 2 layers of NAT on IPv4 and 0 layers of NAT on IPv6, so that’s the best you can achieve.

Once you reach 2 layers of NAT adding additional layers usually doesn’t introduce additional problems other than the additional performance overhead (not a lot) and more points of failure.

There are 3 main options for how to do this, here are the 3 main options (and variants of some of those options) with the pros and cons of each option.