Drive keeps opeining and closing on Win 10j

just got new drive and plugged in to charge.  It keeps closing and opening it’s windows explorer window and apparently turning off and on as the light goes off on drive when it closes and comes back on.

Do you have any other computers to try the drive on? Do you see the same result?

Do you have a USB AC charger? When you connect the Wiresless stick to an AC charger does the power cycle there as well?

I am having this same problem. I have an old Dell laptop and only after upgrading to Win 10 the drive would disconnect regularly, then about 10-15 seconds later reconnect. Just before disconnecting, the amber led would flash three times, then a disconnect. I do not get this problem when working on any desktop machine (Windows or Mac). I bought a new Dell laptop last week and thought it would be fixed, however, the problem has moved to my brand new 7000 series Dell laptop. The drive is fully charged and works fine as a WiFi hotspot and via Bluetooth. I have also tried turning off the USB power saver feature and the problem remains.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening only on my laptop? Could it be an issue related to some weird Dell driver?

Is the windows 10 machines fully updated? IIRC windows 10 had some issues with USB detection but they should be resolved with the latest Win 10 patches. 

It’s still an issue, I updated the device and w10. It keeps disconnecting.

Exactly this very same thing started to happen now on TWO of my computers (old HP desktop and a year old Lenovo laptop) after they got upgraded to Windows 10 “Creators Update” a few days ago.

The very same WFD still works perfectly with my wife’s laptop (that is still with the older version of Windows 10). Maybe I’ll do a forced update just to see if the WFD becomes obsolete there, too.

To make things clear, the WFD is detected by Windows and its icon pops up in the Devices list of the Control Panel, but it disappears after a few seconds… only to pop up again after a while. And this keeps going for ever.

I did update the WFD firmware to a version available at Support | Western Digital. No help.

Was there any fix to the original question… two years ago?

Hi, Just thought to add myself to your issue. In my case it only seems to occur on two PCs at work, mine relatively new and has the lastest Win10 revision.

So far this has been observed on two other PCs apart from mine, so that’s three separate peices of hardware with same OS.

I have no problems with Windows 7 systems so far so clearly there’s a bug or compatibility issue.

I already have the latest firmware installed on the sandisk drive so no joy there. I suspect that if its a windows driver bug, and I do suspect (given other issues with Windows 10 and basic drivers for standard equipment like optical drives…another strory) that its a windows issue.

The problem here will be that support for this no longer manufactured product will be support. 

ref. my earlier posting on this issue…

Once my wife’s laptop updated itself to the very latest version of Windows 10 a few weeks ago also it stopped working with my Wireless Flash Drive. Net result is that all three Win 10 computers at my disposal are therefore no longer compatible with the WFD.

I asked some colleagues at work to check the functionality in their Win 7 and Linux machines. The WFD works normally there.

So, it is obvious that WFD is no longer Windows 10 compatible. Since WFD is an old product Sandisk is not doing anything to update the WFD firmware or make Microsoft do the fix on the driver side.

Well, luckily my WFD sample is still under warranty and I can take it back to the store.

Jyri

To complete the story, here’s what happened as I returned my WFD to the store:

To my relief the guy behind the returns counter couldn’t make the WFD work either. He took the device and asked me to go back to the store and get a replacement device (hey, would that work any better, I thought)

The sales guy I spoke with next was really sorry, because this particular store didn’t have an WFD’s in stock (well, I wasn’t sorry). Instead, he asked if I could do with a device called “Connect Wireless Stick” with same capacity and same price (49.90€) as the WFD did last year. Okay, I thought, things wouldn’t get any worse…

It turned out that this Connect Wireless Stick is a version update from my old WFD. The new stick is slimmer, there is no removable micro-SD and no protective sleeve for the USB connector. Also, this new stick works perfectly with all my Windows 10 PC’s as well.