Re: "File format not supported" randomly appears

I found out if you just change the format which you download from a cd from standard on window's media player to mp3 that it works

It might have something to do with the DRM (Digital Media Rights) for the music files.  I a experiencing the same problem on my

clipsport, and it doesn't even have a external card.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

"I found out if you just change the format which you download from a cd from standard on window's media player to mp3 that it works"

The default for Windows Media Player is to rip to protected WMA. The Clip Sport doesn't support protected WMA files. I now rip CDs to 320 kbps mp3. I used to rip them to 256 kbps mp3.

Make sure your file is no greater than 8 bit

(if you created this sound file, it may be 16, 32 bit)

Has a fix to this problem been discovered?  

I have a brand new clip sport + I bought last week, and am running into the same issue:

Several podcases downloaded over the last few days (The Moth and Fresh Air so far) play betwen 20 and 40 seconds, then the 'File format not supported' message appears.

- the files are mp3, 128kbps, loaded onto the internal memory. 

- As I said it's brand new, so the firmware is up to date, but I reinstalled v. 2.02 anyhow

- I ran CHKDSK /R /X on the internal memory.

- the files aren't particularly big, 20-40 meg.

- the files are NOT corrupted - I can connect the device to my computer and play the mp3 from the device on my computer just fine.

I'm REALLY annoyed by this - apparently this problem goes back to 2014?  And the only "solution" offered is to re-encode downloaded podcasts?  I love these little devices, I use them every day  - this is my 3rd or 4th one.    The older versions of the Clips never needed these files to be re-encoded or any crazy workarounds, I can't remember ever having this problem with any mp3s,  whether downloaded or ripped.