SanDisk Guru

Re: "File format not supported" randomly appears

if the file is too big to send you could always use dropbox or something like that and send them a link to the file. 

Yeah, I ended up using Dropdox and when they tried to play the files the same problem occured:

FROM SANSA

"I appreciate your continued response. I have tried the files and could replicate the issue. It seems to be the issue with the bit rate of the files. The bit rate of the files you sent was 56kbps which is generally not the case for normal mp3/WMA files. I have tried converting them using Any Audio Converter to 128kbps bit rate and it worked. As a work around you can download the same converted and try to convert them to get them to work. We have reported this issue already to our development team for further review."

I am not convinced becuase the problematic podcasts play until the sponsorship announcement is finished (between 15 and 20 seconds) and then give the error.  Also, some of the podcasts from the same show with the same bit rate play just fine.  At the very least things have been frwarded to te development team and maybe we will see a firmware update to fix this.

What puzzles me is how all of my earlier Sansa players can still play these but the newset one cannot!  Surely the developers can compare the old and new codecs and see where the issue lies.

SanDisk Guru

Did you try converting the files to 128kbps and see if they play normally for you? it sounds to me like they tested that out and it worked. 

they have said it was reported to the development team so it sounds like a bug which would probably be fixed in a future FW update. 

I get this problem too.   All of my MP3's are CD rips.   I have a theory that it's my 16GB microSDHC card.  It's a class 10 and you're supposed to use a class 4.   Will repost soon once I receive my new class 4 card and try it out.

Yesterday I ejected my microSDHC and loaded all of the MP3's I wanted in the main Music folder.   I also did a CHKDSK /r /x from Windows (which reported no problems).    After that, everything was good.    BTW, before I was not only getting "file format not supported", I was also getting "file not found".    I'm running the latest firmware.    All of my files are MP3's ripped from CD's with Windows 7 at the highest bitrate it offered.

SanDisk User

im using Transcend 64GB class 10 SDXC and having occasional freezes. but all files work.

im using mostly FLACs and mp3 320 CBRs.

SanDisk Fanatic

ninjafrog84 wrote:

im using Transcend 64GB class 10 SDXC and having occasional freezes. but all files work.

im using mostly FLACs and mp3 320 CBRs.

So your files are heavy, which may help not to exceed the 2000-file limit, right? Or do you operate in folder mode?

SanDisk User

yes - mainly heavy files. but just to make it clear , its not full.

no - im using tag browsing ..not folder

OK, I switched from a class 10 to a class 4 card and no more "file not found" or "format not supported" messages.   No more lockups either.    It's been playing for 6 hours without a hitch now.

SanDisk Guru

Thanks for the report.  This seems consistent with the report of others, concerning issues with microSD cards over Class 4 in speed.   :smileysad: