"File format not supported" randomly appears

I bought this player to replace my aging Clip+, which has not had any problems with the MP3s I loaded onto the SD card (either stock firmware or RockBox). I used a new SD card in my new Sport and copied all the music from my Clip+ to my Sport. Now, randomly, I'll sometimes have the player randomly stop playing music, display "File format not supported", and I have to hard-reset the player to get it to play again.

The thing is, I can't replicate the problem at all. I did a search in Windows Explorer for NOT name: *.mp3 and it came up with nothing. I then skipped through my entire library (eating up the better part of an hour...) from start to finish and not a single song threw the error.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

----
Sansa Clip+ (RockBox)
Sandisk Clip Sport
SanDisk Guru

Re: "File format not supported" randomly appears

What is the file format of the tracks (and the source) that don't play?

As noted in to OP, every file on the card is mp3 format.

Also as noted in the OP, I can't isolate the problem because skipping through the entire library results in every file being played without issue. There are no logs generated on the player, otherwise I could perhaps discover a commonality between the random drops.

The files are from all over. Some are CD rips, others are downloads.

----
Sansa Clip+ (RockBox)
Sandisk Clip Sport

It shows between each song on mine, when I want to manually advance it slows me down.  Have tried everything. My system is updated, checked, rechecked. Windows media player is correct.  I need help!!!!!

Hello

Got the same issue now - randomly 'File format not supported' - mainly with ogg though.

But I had no issue with these files on the Clip +.

Moreover, this problem sometimes comes whil trying to resume a 'audiobook'.

I am running v1.17...

Yquux

I have had this problem, but it has been very specific to podcasts from NPR. Other podcasts and audio books have not been a problem. Have not downloaded any music.

I had some success when I used Windows Media Player (WMP) to ‘sync’ the podcast, but that stopped working last week.

I’ve only had this player for a few weeks, also used a Clip+ which  also had problems with these files.

I've been working with Tech Support for the past 2 days and hope they will resolve the problem.

SanDisk User

Or just a hunch, this could be a lose connection on the SD card.

I also have been having this problem with NPR podcasts.  I have had 2 other Sandisk players before the Sport and have never had a probem like this.

The really odd thing is that the podcasts start to play and then after playing fine for about 10 seconds it stops and says "file format not supported."  It does not happen with all files nor even all files of a given podcast.

It is very disappointing to upgrade to a new player and have it be less functional.  

Has anybody from Sandisk helped anyone with this?

Same with me on NPR podcasts - it happens right after the 'this podcast is supported by' message.  NPR podcasts without that message play fine on my clip sport.

[ Edited ]

Hey eswcpa,

Did you have any luck getting this sloved?  I have been "working" with tech support also, but it is not possible for me to send them the files I am having problems with becaue thier email only accepts attachemnts that are 9MB or less.  They are supposed to call me to discuss this but I can't imagine what they will tell me over he phone that is different than what they have told me via email (they gave me directions to remformat the player - it didn't help).

Robot Sad